Question HP WAVE

manolis kokotsakis

Honorable
Mar 9, 2019
I am thinking to buy a HP WAVE. I wanted for office work . Its the model with i7 processor. Any comments about the machine ? Anybody ownes it ? Its not very upgradable i think and difficult with noise and heat. Any thoughts ?

6th gen Intel CPU is a bit of a bummer. I didn't think these came out that long ago. Apparently they haven't been updated.
[Edit, I did find an i5-7400T model I suppose, $700 is...]

What is your primary motivator for choosing the Wave? Size? "Wow factor"? etc?

1. If small size is what you're looking for, would a 4.5"x4.5"x2" Intel NUC + 512GB SSD + 16GB RAM for $530 suffice? The i5-8259U with 4C/8T @ 2.3-3.9GHz is roughly equal to the i5-7400T with 4C/4T @ 2.4-3GHz.
  2. Are you knowledgeable in building PCs "from scratch", or do you desire/require pre-built machines?
  3. Country? (USA?)

Last edited:
Then I suppose it comes down to who's getting the better end of this trade. Would need to know the full specs on both machines to determine that.

I can't imagine the wave being worse in the heat and upgrade categories than a laptop. If a reviewer has a standard desktop computer in mind when doing that comparison, I can see why the standard desktop would win though.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/HP+Pavilion+Wave+600-a010+RAM-Motherboard+Replacement/99189
Gives you an idea of what it would take to upgrade RAM/SSD (the two most common things upgraded to keep systems servicing as long as possible). Obviously you don't have to worry about the "voids warranty" warning, since you have no warranty anyway.

Although most systems seem to come with 8GB RAM in single channel, the mobo does have two RAM slots. SSD is slotted (not soldered) also.