HP: WebOS 'Hurricane' Tablet Coming Early 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

visa

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
It's good to see other tablets coming to the market but Apple has a helluva head start. If it takes until Q1 of next year, it better have some pretty impressive specs.

exodite

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
[citation][nom]visa[/nom]It's good to see other tablets coming to the market but Apple has a helluva head start.[/citation]
That doesn't matter much though, seeing as there's really no market for tablets as it is.

I mean sure, Apple likes to quote how much stock they've moved on the iPad but if it still sells as much in a years time with the current platform makeup I'd be very surprised.

It's very much a niche product, a flashy gadget with little or no real usage scenarios.

There's no killer app, there's nothing you can do on a tablet that any number of other devices won't do as well or - more often than not - better.

I'm by no means particularly opposed to the iPad though, aside from my usual Apple gripes regarding pricing, connectivity and interoperability. I don't think any tablet, regardless of hard- and software platform, will do particularly well.

This type of gadget trickles in after desktop computer, TV, notebook computer and smartphone and can't really compete with any of them. It's merely a flashy way to do less than what these devices already offer.

*shrug* My 2c, obviously.

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
I love webos. I have a palm pre and since its all based on linux you can install packages and all kinds of stuff

godwhomismike

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Awesome, but when are they going to release a new updated Palm Pre? I am pissed at Apple because the iOS4 basically crippled my iPhone 3G and I want a WebOS phone now.

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
I think its great that a WEBOS device is coming to market. But with the explosive growth of Android and their app market place will it have APPS to compete?

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
I love webos. I was one as a boy. Oh, wait a minute. That was webelos, right before I became a boy scout. (http://www.boyscouttrail.com/webelos)

zen00

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Just as an addendum, one potential hardware use case for this device is as an artist tablet. One of the rumors surrounding it involves the integration of a Wacom style input sensor.

Status
Not open for further replies.