HP: WebOS Will Be On Every PC We Ship in 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAGPC

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
HP, I don't like Microsoft.
But, in desktops, they are their region of absolute power, even I would not change to webOS.
Remember, Microsoft is not Google or Apple.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]cruiseoveride[/nom]Just make Ubuntu default and call it a day.[/citation]

Either way I have to spend an hour formatting the crapware off my new computer and installing a fresh copy of Win7

User69

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
They must be pretty damn confident to make a such a bold move to put it on all of their PC's. Hopefully this brings more competition to the market. Good for HP to take a risk.

XD_dued

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
[citation][nom]PreferLinux[/nom]Can you read??? They are putting WebOS on there along with Windoze or whatever else.[/citation]

Yea this is supposed to be something like asus express gate it seems like. So if you need to do something quickly you can boot into WebOS, and for more intensive things Windows.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
yea they cant just drop windows this will be like a dual boot thing or a situation where it defaults to windows. they cant just switch to another OS which doesnt have a large base of programs openly available which can do everything windows can.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]PreferLinux[/nom]Can you read??? They are putting WebOS on there along with Windoze or whatever else.[/citation]
i can see good coming from this, a easy to use bios for dual booting... its not just for the higher end users any more. was never able to set one up myself, even though i want to dual boot xp and xp (a same hdd mirror, incase one instance dies, i don't have to switch hard drives)

bachok83

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
They have said it, they want to be just as 'cool' as Apple. I seriously hope they can pull this off.

It is no easy task. Mac OS/Windows has been there for years (decades?). This is no easy task.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]bachok83[/nom]They have said it, they want to be just as 'cool' as Apple. I seriously hope they can pull this off. It is no easy task. Mac OS/Windows has been there for years (decades?). This is no easy task.[/citation]

bring on a cheap os that can play games (new ones), can handel ms products (word, excel, things buisnesses use) retain the feal of windows xp, but ability to look like and feal os 10 or 7 (not in os, but through usere made content)
and possibly a 3rd party direct x likes standard. opengl is way to lax at the moment, and is non competitive with dx11 if i am correct. you need an opengl like standard thats easy to port code to, or be willing to outsource programers to companies to optomise for that engine.

you would need in total, 2billion for the os from scratch, and another 2 billion minimum for the new graphical standard, possibly buying whoever holds opengl may be a less costly solution.

if i had the money i would totaly do this for the sole reason of i like the idea.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Just make regular hard drives with integrated 32GB of 500MB/s SSD just for windows. Make windows 8 to automatically put Windows files on SSD, and Program Files, documents, and swap file on HDD. Fast boot issue solved.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
If they want even a hint of consumer acceptance:

(1) There better not be a load of pre-loaded shovel or share ware within otherwise it will be the first thing to go.
(2) It should run out of windows as well as on its own, otherwise it will inevitably get ignored.
(3) It better take a file within the windows partition and not have its own permanent fixed amount of the hard drive, otherwise people will just use diskmanager to delete it and extend their main partition when they get low on space.

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
HP should just use splashtop.
Or take a look at Linux and make a distro with a fast bootup time.

Hopefully they will spend time and resources on getting EFI and UEFI on their boards. With bootloader for multiple OS's. There should be a bootloader for multiple OS's in the BIOS itself decades ago.

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
According to Bloomberg, the aim of including WebOS is to encourage developers to develop applications for more than just phones and tablets. The end result is hopefully differentiating HP PCs, printers, tablets and phones from competitors' products.

Dear HP, use Linux api's (hint: make WebOS a Linux Distribution) or I will not do anything with your platform whatsoever. Including but not limited to refuse to test anything on your platform.

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
And in 2012 HP goes out of business.

But in seriousness, they aren't going to cut windows or any other OS offering so don't worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.