Hp wireless printer scanner error

lovecm37

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
Hello,I have a Hp 4700 all in one wireless printer. I am able to print with no problem. I just can't copy or scan. when you first turn the pritner on it comes up with a scan/copy error. I have tired everything and nothing works. Do you have any ideals? Thank you, Cindy

punchcards

Distinguished
May 16, 2011

I have a C309A printer that after a windows update decided to go into hiding except for printing. I was able to restore scan only with reloading all the AIO software.

Read all the questions - don't try anything until you see all the different possibilites here.

Before anything else, have you turned off, then UNPLUGGED the printer for two or three minutes, and then repowered? As with many devices, turning off (even with a physical switch) does not completely remove power and any hiccup electronically introduced into the logic states may not go away withoiut complete removal of power, since some logic circuits remain powered even if the "power" switch is off (easiest example -- a TV with a remote always has to some power to respond to the remote turning it back on.)

My first question is (don't laugh) -- is the printer's only connection to the network a wireless one and not an additional USB/wired ethernet connection? HP says that you can only connect either wirelessly or wired (ethernet) to the network, not both. However, I do have an AIO that is connected with full AIO to a desktop via USB. It also has an eithernet connection, but ONLY for printing with the OTHER PCs on the network. I believe HP when it says no PC should attempt full AIO with both USB and network. And if you switched from USB to network, you probably have to do a full uninstall and reinstall.

Second -- since you mention "copy" - are you talking about the printer's control panel or the HP Solution Center software on your PC? If it is on the printer, you may have a hardware problem. Try the power off sequence above. If that does not help, what I would do is turn off networking (which may be a pain to restore - and make sure you know all the keys, MAC address, etc. you would need to restore), and again do the power cycle. If you get a still get a copy error on the printer's control panel, it is probably hardware. If the scan error occurs on the control panel, but you can scan from the PC, then it still probably is some kind of hardware issue.

Another question -- did you have scanner / AIO software (for a different unit) on the PC previously. I know from past experience that you cannot have two HP network scanners on the same PC, but usually the software install of the 2nd one gets rid of all the others, especially if it was an HP unit. You CAN have one AIO fully functional and then have the other one accessible as a printer. If you did have a previous scanner, check the control panel for incomplete removal (although that is not a "clean" indicator.)

If you ran a registry cleaner, it may have broken some links and you may have to reinstall the network. System Mechanic always kills my Acrobat Distiller printer and I have to reinstall (full) Acrobat each time.

Unless one of the above "rang a bell," (and even if they didn't), the next step may be to totally reinstall the software (which I know from the C309A is time consuming.)

There may also be some hints in the HP forums.

Hope some of this is helpful.