HP XW6200 and Intel Xeon CPU

Hi All,
I recently bought a HP XW6200 with 3.2GHz Xeon, I bought a second Xeon
processor for it but it does not fit, well heatsink dos not fit. It is
just a Intel chip and not an official HP accessory but I can't see why
it doesn't fit. The screws are only 2 - 3 mm short. The price
difference was £200 more expensive for the HP part over the standard
Intel, hence buying the intel part. Does anyone know what the problem
is? Do you need somesort of heatsink frame for it to fit? Is HP really
greedy enough to make a workstation only take HP parts?

Any help much appreciated, thanks in advance.

catazy@hotmail.com wrote:

> I recently bought a HP XW6200 with 3.2GHz Xeon, I bought a second
> Xeon
> processor for it but it does not fit, well heatsink dos not fit.

Of course, as most generic heat sinks don't fit.

> It is
> just a Intel chip and not an official HP accessory but I can't see
> why
> it doesn't fit. The screws are only 2 - 3 mm short.

Right. And if You force the intel heat sink on the board You damage the
screw frame under the board...

> The price
> difference was £200 more expensive for the HP part over the standard
> Intel, hence buying the intel part. Does anyone know what the problem
> is?

The problem is that You use the wrong heat sink...

> Do you need somesort of heatsink frame for it to fit? Is HP really
> greedy enough to make a workstation only take HP parts?

The heat sink HP uses is _not_ HP specific, it's the same that's
required for TYAN and Supermicro XEON boards...

You don't need to buy the HP CPU upgrade. For my xw8200 I bought a
generic XEON processor (tray, w/o heat sink), and then bought the
original HP heat sink as spare part (should be around 40EUR)....

Benjamin