Question HP Z230 CMOS battery replaced, now receive Intel RST message at boot

n2ubp

Reputable
Jun 26, 2019
Trying to help a friend about 50 miles from my home remotely.
HP Z230 tower running Win 10 x64.
He added 32 gb of memory, a new Nvidia video board, and replaced the CMOS battery.
The memory and video upgrade works, however now when he boot the computer Intel Rapid Storage Technology 10.1 - Options pops up on the screen listing his SSD and DVD drive.
He didn't run RAID in the past. I assume replacing the CMOS battery reset his CMOS settings to default.
I asked him to change the CMOS settings from RAID (default) to AHCI and reboot. When he does this WIndows 10 goes into automatic repair and can not find a solution. Had him try IDE with same results.
Would switching from default Legacy boot in CMOS to secure UEFI correct the problem... or am I way off on this?
Suggestions appreciated. Being 50 miles away and just chatting over the phone doesn't make it easy to troubleshoot this issue.
Thanks,
Steve
73 de N2UBP

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to see if the primary boot device is set to Windows Boot Manager. If the drives are bound in RAID, that shouldn't be the case, per your anecdote the storage controller option should be AHCI. If either option causes the system to fail to boot, you're going to have to reinstall the OS.

On another note, mind asking your friend to see which version of the motherboard BIOS he's on?