[SOLVED] HP z230 Tower with Gigabyte Aorus 1060

huzaifaaleem95

Reputable
Nov 7, 2015
Hi guys. I'm new here and I have searched for the threads for my situation but couldn't find a satisfying answer hence asking it for myself.
I have an HP Z230 Tower Workstation PC with Factory PSU (400W 92% efficient as per Hp's site) and I want to install a Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1060 6GB (rev 2.0). Problem is, that HP Workstations have their proprietary power supply cable connections for the motherboard (an 18 pin connection in my case) also the power supply has a 6 pin power cable for the GPU but my GPU requires an 8 pin connection.
So I'm confused if I should get a Standard Power supply that has 8 pin connections for my GPU and use a 20 to 18 pin adapter for motherboard connection. Or can I use my Default power supply with a 6 to 8 pin adapter for GPU power?

My Question is, will the HP 400W Power Supply be enough for GTX 1060 with a 6 to 8 pin adapter? Or if I go the other way and buy another PSU along with a 20 to 18 pin adapter, will it cause trouble for my motherboard?

My current setup is as follows:

Core i5-4590
1 WD Blue Standard HDD 7.2k RPM
1 WD Black Laptop HDD 7.2k RPM
No optical disk drives.

Let me know if any more info is required.
Thanks

Solution
I think the adapter should be OK. The 1060 is a 120W GPU. So the 6 pin and the PCIe slot are enough. Overclocking, or boost settings might be limited.
The PCIe sot provides 75W, the 6 pin 75W. The 8 pin has the same 3 power leads, it just tells the card 150W is available there.
Workstation PSUs are different than aftermarket. That 6 pin PCIe probably can only provide the rated 75W. On aftermarket PSU it can usually draw up to the full PSU power that's available. The overload protetcion is more strict on workstations.
I think the adapter should be OK. The 1060 is a 120W GPU. So the 6 pin and the PCIe slot are enough. Overclocking, or boost settings might be limited.
The PCIe sot provides 75W, the 6 pin 75W. The 8 pin has the same 3 power leads, it just tells the card 150W is available there.
Workstation PSUs are different than aftermarket. That 6 pin PCIe probably can only provide the rated 75W. On aftermarket PSU it can usually draw up to the full PSU power that's available. The overload protetcion is more strict on workstations.

Solution