HP Z27q 27-inch 5K Professional Monitor Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xajel

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
So, how long till we will see a 21:9 version of these... the 21:9 version will be good, as it will you give you the 21:9 ratio and still be able to view a full 4K resolution in the same time, as 21:9 version will have 2160 vertical resolution with 5K width... final res is 5120x2160

Ping me when this resolution is available in 32"...and there are GPUs powerful enough to run games at that resolution since even SLI 980Tis get taken to their knees in 4K in games like Witcher 3.

Bghead8che

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013
Too bad regarding the Adobe RGB test. Otherwise a pretty decent monitor, especially for the price. You wonder if the Adobe RGB issue is specific to the exact monitor they tested or it affects all HP Z27q models?

Larry Litmanen

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
Ping me when this resolution is available in 32"...and there are GPUs powerful enough to run games at that resolution since even SLI 980Tis get taken to their knees in 4K in games like Witcher 3.

I have a 34 inch Dell Monitor, 21:9,, rather than wait until the GPUs will become powerful enough i simply temporarily switched to playing AAA games on the XBox One. So i have the monitor for general PC activity and play Xbox on it as well.

Realistically it is simply too much to drop all that money on the monitor and a GPU, of the two i think GPU can wait.

You say "... it will send a true 10-bit signal to the display."

That is one of my perennial questions. How to verify that when looking at a monitor's specifications. Can you provide any guidance in that area? I lnow that 10-bit (or 8-bit) is important for the entire path of image production, but I do not always know how to ensure that.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
The more 200ppi screens the merrier. As far as processing power for games...ya we arent there yet, but we should have gpus later this year that will be fine on that res. I wouldnt touch this screen tho because its only 60hz. Not touching 4k till there are a bunch of 120hz monitors out. All thought id really like an OLED screen next, id really like to see 10bit per channel 120hz OLED become average for monitors.

f-14

Distinguished
@ 60Hz
no thanks florescent lighting flicker gives most every one a headache after 5 minutes to 3 hours some lucky few who can make it to 3 hours.
make it 75hz and ease the eye strain and flicker headache problem 85hz i have found i can work with for 12 hours at a time. i still have to take long breaks with a 75hz after 3-5 hours tho.

60hz is enough only for robots. you ever wonder why you get headaches look at these screens on a video broadcast.... not only is the flicker prominent to the point even a moron can't ignore it, but you can also see the vertical scan lines

spagalicious

Distinguished
@ 60Hz
no thanks florescent lighting flicker gives most every one a headache after 5 minutes to 3 hours some lucky few who can make it to 3 hours.
make it 75hz and ease the eye strain

60Hz produces no eye strain and scan lines are definitely not visible. Modern LCDs use LED backlighting. PWM dimming can cause eye discomfort for some, but not all. There is no tech available to run 5K@60Hz+.

BIG_PWR

Reputable
Jan 27, 2015
@10tacle, just to comment on your post, I have xfire R9-290's and Witcher 3, plays fine at 4K, 60Hz, never dipping below 35 fps. It's not perfect but still very enjoyable. Just thought I'd throw my 2cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.