[SOLVED] HP Z420 turns itself on and immediately shuts down.

Mertzwiller

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2014
HP Z420 Windows 7 Pro.

The computer turns on by itself when I plug it into the wall, before I even push the power button. Then it immediately turns off, then on again.

So far, I’ve cleared out the dust, and reseated memory cards. Tried to reseat NVidia graphic card, but couldn’t figure that one out, so jiggled it for a few seconds. The computer worked for an hour or two after that, but then started to shut itself off, again. (Blue light turns off, the green light stays on). Pushing the blue light does nothing. I have to unplug the computer, and then re-plug it to get anything at all.

I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions or tips .

Thanks,
Mike

Solution
Over time, things can corrode or just stop working like they should. I would reseat the memory as well as completely remove the gpu and reseat it as it seemed to make a difference last time. Be sure to fully unplug the system before you do any of these and make sure to press the power button a few times to drain out any current before you start.
Over time, things can corrode or just stop working like they should. I would reseat the memory as well as completely remove the gpu and reseat it as it seemed to make a difference last time. Be sure to fully unplug the system before you do any of these and make sure to press the power button a few times to drain out any current before you start.

Solution

Mertzwiller

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2014
Thank you, Samir. i will do as you suggest.