Aug 14, 2021
So I am buying a z440 because I need a decent (but inexpensive) business system good for light video editing, heavy desktop and picture publishing and 2-monitor setup. I was on google over an hour figuring the best processor I can get, and finding a lot of conflicting ideas from different sites, so am on here as this is the "go to" for PC help :)

Currently, the system I want to buy has in it..... 64gb memory (DDR4), 2 tb 7200 sata hdd for files and a 512 ssd for OS/apps and a good AMD FirePro V7900 GDDR5 2GB VRAM which has 4 DP ports of which I will only be using 2 of for a dual monitor setup and a 6-Core Xeon E5-1650 v3 3.50GHz processor) AND only costs $400 - not bad huh?

So overall the system seems perfect for my needs, and has a decent processor sure, but I know I can get better. I noticed the current processor is a Socket LGA2011-3 cpu, and based on that, found this: A Core i9-9980XE 3 GHZ 18-core CPU (wow, never guessed it would be the same socket, an i9 anything...) AND if y'all know a processor better suited than this one that would be better for my z440 please tell me. I am not against other processors including xenon ones, but I was under the assumption this one is the best I can get and used ones certified and tested with a warranty incase of fault are only $700-$800 online :) Not bad for an i9 no?

My question is with the OS installed already (win10 pro 64 bit) if I switched the socket would windows go crazy and invalidate the OS registration and also, would I need a new CPU cooler? The fan and heatsink is massive in the computer already as was a server PC ( https://www.newegg.com/p/1B0-002P-009G5 ) or should I get the CPU cooler coming with the i9? (Thinking of buying a certified and tested, but used one to save $$$ and normally just sold as processor only)

Thanks for the help and I look forward to a cool time on here :)

Last edited:
Solution
FWIW, I have a HP Z440 E5-1650 v3.
Bought a used one in early spring this year when my ten year old i7-homebrew gave up.
Not very excellent timing on account of being in the middle of working-from-home-because-of-covid-situation, so I needed a fast solution.
Shopped around a bit and found a likely workstation from a used servers dealer I had previously bought some Dell R710's from for my homelab.

Dealed a bit and got a Z440 with 64 GB RAM, a Nvidia Quadro K2200 and a 500 GB SSD.
When I got it I installed a 3TB spinner hd I had around and the latest Kubuntu LTS, as well as two monitors.

IIRC 16 GB x4 ECC-type sticks is teh max this model can cope, w/o getting the mandatory cooling shroud to enable adding more RAM.
You may want to keep...
So the quick answer is no.

The longer answer is no because the i9 doesn't support the ecc reg memory that the z440 uses. And there are xeon upgrades in case you need more processor and the memory because it is ecc reg maxes out to 512GB officially, but since I took my z420 from it official limit of 32GB to 256GB, I wouldn't be surprised if you could push this higher.

Reactions: drtechnology
Aug 14, 2021

The longer answer is no because the i9 doesn't support the ecc reg memory that the z440 uses. And there are xeon upgrades in case you need more processor and the memory because it is ecc reg maxes out to 512GB officially, but since I took my z420 from it official limit of 32GB to 256GB, I wouldn't be surprised if you could push this higher.
Thanks, so what processor do you suggest for a nice upgrade that won't break the bank?

Aug 14, 2021

Or let me ask this instead..... What would be the highest processor I could get, xenon or i7 line that would work? I am decent with computers but know nothing on processor types lol

USAFRet

Titan
So I am buying a z440 because I need a decent (but inexpensive) business system good for light video editing, heavy desktop and picture publishing and 2-monitor setup.
None of that requires a "server".

I do all of that and much much more on a several year old i7-4790k based system.

Currently, the system I want to buy has...

My question is with the OS installed already....
For any used system, you personally need to do a full wipe and reinstall of the OS. Seriously.

Aug 14, 2021
None of that requires a "server".

I do all of that and much much more on a several year old i7-4790k based system.

For any used system, you personally need to do a full wipe and reinstall of the OS. Seriously.
The system I want to buy may be a "server" but look at the specs and all for $400? I have to display port monitors, are you saying I can find a decent i7 system with support for dual DP monitors that will cost me around that (or less)??

If so I am all ears!

Also, the system I wanted to buy was coming from a name brand place who had a company wipe the HDD totally (had win7 pro) and installed win10pro fresh. From the pics it is still on the navy blue initial setup and werlcome after install screens lol - should I still wipe and redo again?

USAFRet

Titan
Aug 14, 2021
The thing is, you're buying a system based on a 9 year old CPU, and what was a good GPU a decade ago, but is now badly out of date.
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...50-12m-cache-3-20-ghz-0-0-gt-s-intel-qpi.html
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/firepro-v7900.c580

If they state "64gb memory (DDR4) "...something is badly wrong. That CPU does NOT support DDR4 RAM.
And for the stated use, 64GB is not needed. 32GB would do just fine.

IDC if it is out of date or not I just want some good as processing power lol - but I don't wanna pay $2k for something "up to date" lol - My budget for this is $500 or less and for the price this seemed the best specs for under $500. Has memory shroud included to cool the memory with fans (oooh) lol - do not know if that will make any difference but can't hurt lol. (Never used one)

I thought the memory for xenon cpu's was ddr4 that maybe my mistake here is the actual specs from the listing, if you think I can get something better for $500 and under (With Video card that has 2 display ports for sual monitor support) please let me know what to search for. :)

HP Z440 WORKSTATION Desktop PC

Serial Number: 2UA54127SS

CPU: 6-Core Xeon E5-1650 v3 3.50GHz

Memory: 64GB RAM

Hard Drive: 512GB SSD + 2TB HDD

Graphics: AMD FirePro V7900 GDDR5 2GB VRAM

COA INCLUDED: Windows 10 Pro (Had w7 pro, wiped drive 32x prodessionally and installed fresh w10pro with COA included, still on initial welcome and setup option screens)

Power Cord (included): Yes

KB/Mouse (Included): No

Thanks, so what processor do you suggest for a nice upgrade that won't break the bank?
It really depends on what you need more--single thread speed or more cores. A lot of different processors are supported from both the v3 and v4 lines:

Or let me ask this instead..... What would be the highest processor I could get, xenon or i7 line that would work? I am decent with computers but know nothing on processor types lol
It depends on what you define as 'high'. A lot of Intel's higher numbered processors have more cores but slower single thread performance. And you're restricted to the xeon line as none of the consumer i processors will work with ecc reg memory.

Aug 14, 2021
It really depends on what you need more--single thread speed or more cores. A lot of different processors are supported from both the v3 and v4 lines:
Ok so as I gather from everyone on here an Intel i (anything) is not supported..... Good to know - online some people say they buy a z440 and put an i7 in it, idk how but obviously lying or having issues after doing so.

I am cool staying on xenon - they were better than the i7's anyway for many a year! I am not doing gaming just desktop publishing, light video work, photoshop etc etc but I hate it when a system lags, and it takes 30 secionds to boot and you click on chrome and 10 seconds later the window pops up. I do at times have 15 internet tabs open, if that helps decide on single faster cores or multiple slower ones lol.....

I use dto build computers in the 90's and early 2000's - as you can tell I am out of the game a while now. I am sure the processor that comes with it (Xeon E5-1650 v3 3.50GHz ) is decent but if there is an upgrade that is substantially better and not expen sive, why not. That is why I came on here to see if it is worth upgrading the CPU or not. 64 gb of ram will last me forever for what I need and just figured there are some newer and way better cpu's I could put in here to bring ouyt the max potential of the computer

Aug 14, 2021
Thanks for the link idk if this has the 700w power supply or not but their fairly cheap if not :) And I see a good list of processors to upgrade to - just what I needed :) I am leaning v4 just because why not, they are newer and prolly better than v3 ones

USAFRet

Titan
"and you click on chrome and 10 seconds later the window pops up "

My system (specs below) currently has 25+ browser tabs open across 2x Firefox instances, 2x Excel workbooks, running 2x VMs (1 Win 10 and 1 Linux), TightVNC remote into my HTPC, client window monitoring 2x security cameras, etc, etc, etc...

Opening a NEW Firefox instance takes...sub 1 second.
Opening a Chrome or Edge instance, ~1 sec.

Seriously.

Aug 14, 2021
"and you click on chrome and 10 seconds later the window pops up "

My system (specs below) currently has 25+ browser tabs open across 2x Firefox instances, 2x Excel workbooks, running 2x VMs (1 Win 10 and 1 Linux), TightVNC remote into my HTPC, client window monitoring 2x security cameras, etc, etc, etc...

Opening a NEW Firefox instance takes...sub 1 second.
Opening a Chrome or Edge instance, ~1 sec.

Seriously.
Ok well my friend bought a $600 PC BRAND NEW last year from fry's before they went out of business this year and his takes 7-10 seconds just to open a chrome window - idk if he has what on there (virus, etc) but man, I was shocked! He seems used to it, says was always slow as he installed a lot of <Mod Edit> on there and uses norton (might explain the slowness lol) but no way not for me. So I am kinda weary on some of these new systems I'll take an old tried n tested system I know is lightning fast!

So in your opinion i7 trumps xenon?

USAFRet

Titan
Ok well my friend bought a $600 PC BRAND NEW last year from fry's before they went out of business this year and his takes 7-10 seconds just to open a chrome window - idk if he has what on there (virus, etc) but man, I was shocked! He seems used to it, says was always slow as he installed a lot of <Mod Edit> on there and uses norton (might explain the slowness lol) but no way not for me. So I am kinda weary on some of these new systems I'll take an old tried n tested system I know is lightning fast!

So in your opinion i7 trumps xenon?
Your friends system has major issues, and his software stack sucks.
Whatever the price of it was.

My wifes i3-8100/16GB system is better/faster than that. Running 2x monitors off the iGPU contained in the CPU.
Seriously.

I'm not saying an i7 is better than XEON.
I AM saying, a decade old system is a decade old, and already badly out of date.

Aug 14, 2021

My wifes i3-8100/16GB system is better/faster than that. Running 2x monitors off the iGPU contained in the CPU.
Seriously.

I AM saying, a decade old system is a decade old, and already badly out of date.
gotcha, thanks I realize that

Aug 14, 2021

Seriously.

Not to brag, but look at this: Remember I am no gamer I could care less about OC speeds (technically online there are many a forum shows how to OC the Xenon processor) but honestly seeing this has me goign hummmmm.... I think I might prefer the decade old cpu to the new one.

Quick facts: The Newest i7 CPU... Vs The Xenon in the system I want: 40 pci express lanes to i7's 16 lanes, (both on pci express 3.0) 68 gb/s memory bandwidth vs i7's 46 gb/s, 768 GB max memory vs i7's super low 128 gb max, 16 mb smart cache vs i7's 16 mb smart cache - so nothing hugely different there

I am shocked I always was told Xenon trumps i7's and now I know why....... a 10 yr old xenon v3 (v4 is even better) is in many aspects, better than the newest i7.....

I think I just answered my own question on upgrading and personally seeing this has me thinking I won't even bother with upgrading the CPU will leave as is!

Sure the i7 is a lil faster single core and such but on 8 cores? with the xenon only having 6, only a 13% increase on the i7. That is nothing in my opinion, at least nothing worth a crap that will net me any real improvements on the apps I will be using.

Even the memory latency 84.7 vs i7's 87.5, it's as if nothing much changed in 10 years lol.

Don't even look at the threads - 12@ 3.6 ghz on xenon vs 16 at 2.3 ghz on latest i7??? Whaaaaa like 1.3 ghz faster and only 4 threads less - SIGN ME UP!

Sorry not to hate I appreciate your help but compared to the newer i7's, I will take the 10 yr old xpu anyday!!!!!!! You tell me excactly seeinf ther link here what I am losing by going #teamXenon

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Xeon-E5-1650-v3-vs-Intel-Core-i7-10875H/m16320vsm1111393

Ok so as I gather from everyone on here an Intel i (anything) is not supported..... Good to know - online some people say they buy a z440 and put an i7 in it, idk how but obviously lying or having issues after doing so.

I am cool staying on xenon - they were better than the i7's anyway for many a year! I am not doing gaming just desktop publishing, light video work, photoshop etc etc but I hate it when a system lags, and it takes 30 secionds to boot and you click on chrome and 10 seconds later the window pops up. I do at times have 15 internet tabs open, if that helps decide on single faster cores or multiple slower ones lol.....

I use dto build computers in the 90's and early 2000's - as you can tell I am out of the game a while now. I am sure the processor that comes with it (Xeon E5-1650 v3 3.50GHz ) is decent but if there is an upgrade that is substantially better and not expen sive, why not. That is why I came on here to see if it is worth upgrading the CPU or not. 64 gb of ram will last me forever for what I need and just figured there are some newer and way better cpu's I could put in here to bring ouyt the max potential of the computer
Actually, this system is a bit of an odd-ball as not only does it support i-processors, but apparently you can still use ecc reg ram with them. :D

If it works, you won't have any issues for sure. I have an older z200 that is running an i5-680 (never officially supported) that's running fine. My z420 has 256GB of LRDIMMs which were never supported officially (only ecc udimms officially) that's running fine, so there's a lot these machines can do outside of the box if you know what those hidden secrets are, because HP doesn't, lol.

For no gaming or single thread demands and since your applications more than likely support more cores, I'd load up on cores more than single thread performance and actually more ram than anything since things in ram are always executing super fast. If you're one of those 'I want my system to boot in 5 seconds people, but then don't really know how to use the system', this system is not for your and you need a chromebook with an nvme.

Understanding where those delays come from helps minimize them, which is initially from storage to ram and then back to storage if you don't have enough ram. Hence why I said the more ram the better. (64GB is solid enough although I'd go up to 128GB if you have any swapping to storage during heavy video or photoshop work.)

I too got into computers in the late 1980s and 1990s so I remember that era well. But things have changed now my friend since knowing how to load drivers, optimize 640k, and set non-conflicting IRQs are things of the past.

So let's see what all the z440 came with stock and what people have put into them:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...820K-vs-Intel-i7-6800K/2389vs2794vs2340vs2785

The 6900k is a nice boost in cores and single thread speed, but let's take a look at what the stock xeon options were too:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...-Xeon-E5-2680-v4/2389vs2366vs2838vs2765vs2779

So there's a lot of options that are faster in terms of cores, but not many in terms of single thread performance, which is actually good for your use case. :) Some notable upgrades are the 2687w v4 which would double your core and thread count without any loss in single thread performance, the 2698 v4 which gives you a whopping 20 cores and 40 threads with only a slight loss in single thread performance and actually some power savings as the tdp is 135w vs 140w, the 1650 v4 which doesn't change your power usage or number of cores, but is a nice pump up in single thread performance that you should feel since it's about 10% faster single thread performance. If you compare the i processors, the i7-6900k is the winner of the pack, which is like an 8 core version of the 1650 v4.

I haven't checked any prices on these, but usually it's the ones that are 'best' for a socket that tend to be more expensive, while the #2 or #3 position ones will be dramatically cheaper (1/2 the price or less--case in point is i5-2500k vs i7-2600k, q9400 vs q9650, etc). I wouldn't be surprised if the i7-6900k was much more than all the xeons since that's the single thread speed king.

Hope this helps get you started and happy upgrading!

Aug 14, 2021
Add to that this...

Just wanted to post up some results I have had after picking up my new E5-1650V3 CPU. After 5 minutes in the bios I was able to get 4.0GHz out of it at 1.15v. Not bad for a CPU i picked up for $390.

Most people probably dont know that the 1650v3 chips are unlocked, so just wanted to post up to inform. Stock multiplier is 35.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: SamirD
Add to that this...

Just wanted to post up some results I have had after picking up my new E5-1650V3 CPU. After 5 minutes in the bios I was able to get 4.0GHz out of it at 1.15v. Not bad for a CPU i picked up for $390.

Most people probably dont know that the 1650v3 chips are unlocked, so just wanted to post up to inform. Stock multiplier is 35.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Solid! How did you overclock it? In the stock HP bios you can set the multiplier manually?

Aug 14, 2021
Solid! How did you overclock it? In the stock HP bios you can set the multiplier manually?
I did not even buy the PC yet lol - just doing my research before I commit. Based on your comments may upgrade cpu to 2687w v4 when I do - not sure yet on the fence lol - overclocked this looks like a beast! idk that the 2687 xenon v4's are overclockable will have to checkl on that lol

Aug 14, 2021
Scratch that - too expensive - and if I am spending a lot of $ would want to be able to OC if I ever do - that one is locked. No OC! So NO BUY lol.... But here's the OC screenshot someone got on the 1650 v3 that comes with the system I am looking at:

BJUvP7d.jpeg