Question HP Z600 - Win10 reboot during startup with dual CPUs installed ?

May 22, 2022
This is a very weird one - I haven't seen this covered anywhere online. I have a HP Z600 with dual Xeons and 15GB RAM (3x4GB/3x1GB sticks), and I was able to run with both CPUs and all installed memory in Win7 Pro with no problems (all cores ID'ed and running).

but when I tried to install Win10 Pro (64bit) from a DVD, the PC would auto-restart before the OS install would load completely from the DVD. I got rid of all unnecessary PCIe cards except GPU, the second CPU, and the second group of RAM (3x1GB), and I was able to boot from the install disc and install Win10 Pro over the Win7 installation. I have a second partition with WinXP Pro for some engineering design software that will not run under anything newer than WinXP 32-bit, so there is a bootloader screen that lets me choose WinXP or Win10.

I put back all the other PCIe cards (Wi-Fi and a TV tuner card) and I was able to boot as normal, but when I put the second CPU in and installed the second group of memory, the (fresh!) Win10 install would no longer boot. It would get to the Windows splash screen with spinning dots, and sit there for a bit, then auto-restart (back to BIOS), and loop this way; even "computer repair" features will not load. Is Windows 10 really this finicky about hardware that it cannot support a second CPU socket, or mismatched triple-channel RAM installations between CPUs (that were fine under Win7!), or is my motherboard most likely hosed?

Both CPUs are the same type that came with the machine, so even though I have the older revision of the Z600 motherboard, the type of CPU installed should not be an issue. I have heard of units with one CPU bad that simply would not boot to Windows at all, but none that would get to Windows startup and then spontaneous reboot. Thanks in advance.

May 22, 2022
It's the one I bought in 2015. But I made it work and installed it. Maybe it's worth trying to grab all the other Windows updates with just one CPU and set of RAM and then it will work with both CPUs after that.