Question HP Z620 Performance Issues - Should I Upgrade the E5-1620 CPU?

Jan 1, 2023
Happy NuYear to you all.

I have a HP Z620 workstation which I use for editing home movies in Premiere Pro and recording music in Cakewalk.
Both of these application seem to be pushing the CPU to the max, both will stutter or crash, and I wondered what would be a sensible upgrade.

The Z620 has the newer 2013, v2 motherboard.
The CPU is a Xeon E5-1620 running at 3.6GHz, which makes me think it is a v1 chip.
I have 32GB of DDR3 RAM running at 1600MHz - memory is rarely more than 50% utilised.
The GPU is an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB.
I am running Windows 10, all drivers up to date and patched.

Would an E5-2690 be a good choice? They are only £30 now on eBay so well worth a swing.

I thank you in advance for any helpful advice.
As payment, I attach a video of my cat enjoying my singing.
I know this sounds delusional, but it does!
Cat Enjoys Singing

I think your cat is asking you to let her out while you sing. lol jk. The 2690 is rated for your desktop. However, I would check the support center to see if the bios for the cpu/ motherboard has been updated all all. You get 8 more cores and for $35 why not give it a go?

Jan 1, 2023
I think your cat is asking you to let her out while you sing. lol jk. The 2690 is rated for your desktop. However, I would check the support center to see if the bios for the cpu/ motherboard has been updated all all. You get 8 more cores and for $35 why not give it a go?
Thanks Mr Glitch - to be fair, I did wonder if maybe she was trying to get me to stop. 😊

Jan 1, 2023
An E5-2690 CPU would be a significant upgrade for your HP Z620 workstation, as it has more cores and threads than the E5-1620, which would help with multitasking and running multiple applications.
Thank you for this reply. Mr Shart
In a tremendous coincidence I did the upgrade last night and it worked very well.
A CPU replacement feels more intimidating than other upgrades, but it was a breeze - no BIOS startup beeps and seems to be running at 3.6.
I'm not sure why I bought such a large tube of thermal grease, however!
I did a large render to give it a thorough test, and temperature stayed a few degrees under maximum the whole time, so I am a very happy bunny!

I hope this encourages other users to do the same.

Reactions: amartshart12