[SOLVED] HP Z640 6 Pin PCie to 8 Pin

Jun 20, 2020
Hey,
I am having a hard time to decide wether I should use a dual 6 pin to 8 pin adapter, to power a GPU i will buy in the future, or if i just stick to the "normal" 6 pin to 8 pin Adapter.
Because I looked up my PSUs specs, and saw that my two 6 Pin pcie cable, are delvivering a current of 18 amps. If I calculate the watts then, i got 216 which is even much more than a 8 Pin deliveres.
Also the HP z640 specs are saying that GPUs like the p6000 are compatible with the PC, and these GPU uses a 8 Pin.
I decided to just ask here someone, who can help me.

PSU Link: http://www.primelec.com/hp-d12-925p...orkstation-719797-002-758468-001#.Xu5EvthxdaR

Best Regards Ilian

Last edited:
Solution
What gpu we're you looking at? If it only needs one 8 pin do i not see the point in getting 6->8pin adapters.

And what do you expect for $10? I wouldn't look for them so only thing i can advice is looking at wire gauge. Look for ones that use 16AWG wires if possible, are probably the more expensive ones.
Jun 20, 2020
Well adapters are never adviced, but if you need one get a good 2x6 pin to 1x8 pin and call it a day. Wouldn't want to push your luck, but that my opinion.
The Problem i have, is that HP themself have a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter, for the z640. But these are just too expensive, and i dont know if the adapters for like 10 Buck, are good enough. Because im pretty sure that my psu wouldnt have a problem, it is designed for that.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
What gpu we're you looking at? If it only needs one 8 pin do i not see the point in getting 6->8pin adapters.

And what do you expect for $10? I wouldn't look for them so only thing i can advice is looking at wire gauge. Look for ones that use 16AWG wires if possible, are probably the more expensive ones.

Solution