Question HP ZBook 15 G2 SSD Drive Question and Search

chodgdon

Prominent
Jun 7, 2021
I have an HP ZBook 15 G2 and the thing runs great. I am in the process of replacing the hard drive, and was looking into adding a M.2 based drive to the system. I have looked at the manual for the computer and it shows that it came with a couple of options for those. I know the form factor is 2260. What I am having problems with (2 things) is that most of information I find says that its a M.2 PCIe slot and not an M.2 SATA slot. Upon further research I believe its a PCIe 2 (which means that a PCIe 3 or newer should work as well). So the first question is, is this slot PCIe and not SATA? The other questions is, does anyone have any good lead on a NEW M.2 PCIe SSD drive that is in the 2260 form factor. I've found a few used or "refurbished" ones, but I really would like to go new.

I did find a new one (from is listing on eBay) that is labeled as KingData which I found mentioned in the group as to be ones to stay away from. Any help would be appreciated.

chodgdon

Prominent
Jun 7, 2021

Take a look at the page you shared with me. It's shown right on it. Click on Storage and Drives and scroll down to the last drive listed, before it changes over to Audio/Multimedia, or each enough click on Audio/Multimedia and scroll up one drive. This computer could be ordered with or upgraded to include a 256 GB Z Turbo Drive in the form factor of PCIe size 2260. So it could be ordered with one and I have confirmed that the motherboard has the slot for it as well. Also if you look at the Service Manual for this laptop, on page 45 it shows to to remove and install the M.2 drive and the part numbers for 512 GB, 256 GB and 128 GB M.2 cards

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Take a look at the page you shared with me. It's shown right on it. Click on Storage and Drives and scroll down to the last drive listed, before it changes over to Audio/Multimedia, or each enough click on Audio/Multimedia and scroll up one drive. This computer could be ordered with or upgraded to include a 256 GB Z Turbo Drive in the form factor of PCIe size 2260. So it could be ordered with one and I have confirmed that the motherboard has the slot for it as well.
Where does it mention "2260"?
That is an unusual size

edit:
Ahh....they're stating"height" of 60mm. That is actually the length.

chodgdon

Prominent
Jun 7, 2021
Correct. Its 22 wide by 60 long. So a 2260, and yep not many places made them from what I can see. I've found some used one's on eBay, but I would rather try and find a new one. Like I stated in the original post, I found some marked at KingData new, but I read in this forum to stay away from those, LOL. I may end up ordering the optic drive caddy that will hold a laptop drive and go that route, but I sure would like to be able to use the M.2 option instead.

chodgdon

Prominent
Jun 7, 2021
I know that today 2280 is the standard, but looking over the history of them, there was 2260 and one even shorter than that. Samsung made a 2260 for a while and was actually used in several different laptops. I can find a new Transcend from Newegg, sent from Hong King, but its SATA3 and not PCIe.

Like I said above, guess I might just have to buy the optical drive caddy and put an SSD drive in there, though it won't be the same as running it from the PCIe