HP ZR30w Versus DoubleSight DS-309W, 30-Inch Monitors, Tested

Status
Not open for further replies.
"And for those who demand a density above 100 pixels per inch and a tall 16:10 aspect ratio, they represent the top of the heap...for now"

Isn't the ASUS PQ321 already out along with a few other 4K monitors? granted price is a whole other story

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
The lack of an OSD makes the ZR30w a much better gaming monitor, as the OSD causes higher lag. Personally I have no problem doing without one.

You seriously can't see the pixels? I can see them on a 27" 2560x1440, which has smaller pixels. The .25mm range is adequate to me, but really I'd prefer something smaller than the .233mm on the 2560x1440.

x2ruff4u

Honorable
May 21, 2013
You guys should wait to get any IPS screen. 60HZ is all they come in & tbh 60HZ in terms of technology is old. I would wait to get a 120HZ IPS monitor because it REALLY makes a difference. Sure you can OC your monitor, but most only go up to 90HZ and that can put a toll on it and eventually fry it. Your best bet is to get a 120hz-240hz TV and if your worried about MS don't be. Compared a low MS to a higher HZ there is very little difference in tech terms (read up about it) This year or beginning of next year WE should be getting some nice monitors you can be proud you spent your money. Hell ASUS already has a 4K monitor and I bet money on 4K monitors by mid-end next year.

Troll post(s) deleted.

When considering something like this for games, don't forget the cost of the video card(s) needed to drive it. A HD7750 may be "sufferable" even up to 1920x1080, but I'm not sure even a HD7770 or GTX650Ti could play newer games on better than "low" settings on one of these.

kungpaoshizi

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
How the heck did you get those numbers via the input pcb for input lag?

I have a ZR30W myself, and I would NEVER trade it unless what I'm upgrading to has more than a 2560x1600 resolution.

I've played on all sorts of monitors, and resolution trumps all other specs, unless you're dealing with 30fps or something...
I really wish I would have spent 1200$ on it long ago. Battlefield 3 and other highly graphical games are comparable to nothing else in the world.

kungpaoshizi

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
Oh btw, I run BF3 high/ultra settings with a GTX 570 oc'd, and it's peachy enough I don't tell my g/f I'm taking my other 570 out of the machine she's using to hook up SLI again...
The 60hz is not "old tech", it's more than sufficient to run games smoothly if vertical sync is on (even still when it's off). 60 fps is fine, television (pre hd) was 28hz. Anything above 60fps you really don't notice too much.

Oh, and for those looking for 4k tv's to use (I'm way ahead of ya) they only have 30hz refresh rates over the HDMI 1.2 port. We're going to have to wait for the tv's to add another port, wait for the upgrade to HDMI 2.0, or wait for some other solution.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
I can safely say that I will sit tight and wait for the 4K monitors to hit the market at a reasonable price and grab one as long as they come in at 60Hz or 120Hz and not 30Hz.

It's a shame manufacturers treat 16:10 ratio as a rarity. A decent 1080p is often a little cheaper than a smaller 1680x1050 display and half as much as a slightly larger 1920x1200. Personally I can't stand a 16:9 for a computer. It's fine for TVs and watching media, but to work on I have to have that extra height.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012

We aren't going to see many 16:10 in the future. the 4K stuff is going to be 16:9 unless someone makes the move to stick with 16:10. However, the difference when it comes to 16:9 with a 2560x1440 and 16:10 2560x1600 is very minimal unless you really really need that extra height!

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I wish you could have tested Dell's new 30" U3014 which has LED and a superior LCD screen from the predecessors. And yes, 16:10 is better in every way unless all you do it watch movies on your computer.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
I've got the HP as my main monitor for work... it's a very nice monitor and is a noticeable bump from my 27" displays - not sure it's really worth the price differential though... now if it was 4k that would be a different story! (and yes you can see pixels on it even at full res).

soldier44

Honorable
May 30, 2013
Ive been using the ZR30 for 3 years now since they came out, and never looked back to 1080 displays. Once you go to one of these monsters you will never do things on the PC the same including gaming. Playing BF3 and other games on it is so worth the money if you have it to get one. Or better yet 3 of them for surround gaming.Looking forward to upgrading to a 4K display in the next year or 2. Better get a top end GPU if you plan on gaming on one of these, currently I use a single 780 and it runs flawless in every game.

InvalidError

Titan

A properly implemented OSD would blend overlay pixels on-the-fly and add less than 100ns of lag to the process, which would be undetectable. The Viewsonic VP2770 has an OSD and is on par with the fastest LCDs in this roundup for total input-output lag. Having an OSD does not equate to lag.

The art of zero-lag OSDs is very old: countless computer CRTs from the mid-90s have it and TVs have had it for even longer. The OSD locks timing with the H/V sync and substitutes its signal over the relevant areas on-the-fly. With LCDs, this is even easier to do since everything is digital.

What is more likely happening is that "laggy" LCDs are doing extra image processing/enhancement or power-saving tricks such as dynamic brightness adjustments. For dynamic backlighting (power saving trick), the LCD needs to know what the brightest pixel is and then adjust the whole image so it remains the same while matching the brightnest pixel using the dimmest backlight possible. Tricks like those might explain why the slowest panels on this roundup are almost exactly two frames slower than the fastest: one frame delay to shift the frame in the memory buffer while applying filters and searching for the brightest pixel, another frame delay to shift the frame out to the panel with adjusted brightness.

Many LCDs do a lot more than simply dumping signal straight from the input to the display controller.

InvalidError

Titan

I wish threads that got bumped by spammers would stop bouncing back into my "new updates" list every time spam gets added and removed. I must have come back to this thread with the above post as most recent more than a dozen times by now.

I wish the forum would delete "new update" notifications when the newest post in a thread is older than the notification after spam got deleted.

Mac_Daddy

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
I read the Anand Tech review of this monitor and they claim a Delta E of 1.15 or less on their calibrated display. What color calibrator did Tom's Hardware use? I tend to side more with Anand Tech since they explained their testing methodology in greater detail, but I wonder about the discrepancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.