HP1200 printer default font

Hi
First, thanks for reading this.
I manage a number of HP1200/HP1300 printers. They all seem to have the
same default font - ie if I send a print to it from outside Windows.
I've read some bumf that mentions PJL but I don't know how to implement
it. I am just trying to make the default font to 17CPS - or something
like that! Please can anyone help me?
Cheers.
Andy.

"Andy B" <andyb@dawsons.co.uk> wrote in message

> I manage a number of HP1200/HP1300 printers. They all seem to have the
> same default font - ie if I send a print to it from outside Windows.
> I've read some bumf that mentions PJL but I don't know how to implement
> it. I am just trying to make the default font to 17CPS - or something

How are these set in
/ start / settiings / printers / SELECT ONE / Properties ?
Most brands let you instal one item as two or more
printers, one preset for draft mode, the other preset for fine
quality output.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Thanks for your reply. I've been in there and there are no settings for
font/pitch. I don't really know what else to try - apart from having a
go at sending Esc codes to it! Andy.

Hi. Thanks for your reply. You're right - I'm not printing from
Windows. I'm printing from our Head Office Unix software. You say I
should use PCL codes . . . . but how do I send them to the printer? Can
I do it from a .BAT file?
Cheers.
Andy.

Warren Block wrote:
> Andy B <andyb@dawsons.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I manage a number of HP1200/HP1300 printers. They all seem to have the
> > same default font - ie if I send a print to it from outside Windows.
>
> It sounds like you may be printing jobs from non-Windows systems,
> but more specifics would be helpful. Otherwise, just load your text
> file into Notepad and print from there.
>
> > I've read some bumf that mentions PJL but I don't know how to implement
> > it. I am just trying to make the default font to 17CPS - or something
> > like that! Please can anyone help me?
>
> In the old days, chr(15) would set compressed mode. That may still
> work. Otherwise, you will need to send full PCL codes to select a font,
> probably Courier, and then a pitch. From a little web search, this may
> work:
>
> ESC(s3T to select Courier (or ESC(s0T for LinePrinter)
> ESC&k2S to select compressed (16.5 CPI)
>
> --
> Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA

Andy B <andyb@dawsons.co.uk> wrote:

> I manage a number of HP1200/HP1300 printers. They all seem to have the
> same default font - ie if I send a print to it from outside Windows.

It sounds like you may be printing jobs from non-Windows systems,
but more specifics would be helpful. Otherwise, just load your text
file into Notepad and print from there.

> I've read some bumf that mentions PJL but I don't know how to implement
> it. I am just trying to make the default font to 17CPS - or something
> like that! Please can anyone help me?

In the old days, chr(15) would set compressed mode. That may still
work. Otherwise, you will need to send full PCL codes to select a font,
probably Courier, and then a pitch. From a little web search, this may
work:

ESC(s3T to select Courier (or ESC(s0T for LinePrinter)
ESC&k2S to select compressed (16.5 CPI)

Andy B <andyb@dawsons.co.uk> wrote:
> Warren Block wrote:
>>
>> In the old days, chr(15) would set compressed mode. That may still
>> work. Otherwise, you will need to send full PCL codes to select a font,
>> probably Courier, and then a pitch. From a little web search, this may
>> work:
>>
>> ESC(s3T to select Courier (or ESC(s0T for LinePrinter)
>> ESC&k2S to select compressed (16.5 CPI)
>>
> Hi. Thanks for your reply. You're right - I'm not printing from
> Windows. I'm printing from our Head Office Unix software. You say I
> should use PCL codes . . . .
> but how do I send them to the printer? Can I do it from a .BAT file?

[Please don't top-post, as it makes replying difficult.]

It depends on what your Unix printing system does with print jobs. If
it doesn't reset the printer before or after, then you can send them at
any time. The printer should keep those settings until it's powered off
or reset.

It sounds like you want to change the font for remote print jobs being
sent to the printers in your office. As to sending the codes from your
Windows system, you can use any programming language you like. Easiest
is probably to copy the PCL sequences into a file and use XP's lpr to
send that file to the network printer port.