Question HP24f external monitor randomly crashes computer

Jul 11, 2020
Once a day or so, my new HP24f external monitor turns all while, or green, or yellow, and the computer starts making a loud continuous sound and stops working. I then have to manually shut down the computer by pressing the power button. No pattern in when this happens. sometimes many programs open, sometimes now. sometimes early morning, sometimes end of day. monitor is new. computer is DELL XP15. I go to Windows Event Viewer but can't find any further information on the error. The only thing logged is "the system has reboted without cleaning shutting down first". There's nothing under "Hardware events"

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020
Thank you. I cleaned vents/fan and updated the Dell BIOS but unfortunately that did not solve the problem. The monitor keeps freezing my PC every day. I am not sure what to do and even how to check what is the problem. For no apparent reason, the monitor becomes single-colour and the PC stops working. No reaction at all, even in the computers's own monitor. So I am forced to press the on/off button to shut down. I cannot find any information on Windows Event Viewer other than my forcing the computer to shut down. There is no information on what caused the monitor to crash. Where can I find such information in Windows?

Thank you. I cleaned vents/fan and updated the Dell BIOS but unfortunately that did not solve the problem. The monitor keeps freezing my PC every day. I am not sure what to do and even how to check what is the problem. For no apparent reason, the monitor becomes single-colour and the PC stops working. No reaction at all, even in the computers's own monitor. So I am forced to press the on/off button to shut down. I cannot find any information on Windows Event Viewer other than my forcing the computer to shut down. There is no information on what caused the monitor to crash. Where can I find such information in Windows?

That is not the monitor, it's the computer crashing. Does the system work fine with just the laptop screen if you use that for a day or two? Or try with another video cable? Test with one RAM stick at a time or different RAM. There is a memory testing program called memtest you can use, that can help.

Jul 11, 2020
Thank you. The computer worked fine for 8 years. It crashed for the first time 10 minutes after I connected my new HP24f external monitor. It crashes about once a day whenever the monitor is connected. When the monitor is not connected, it never crashes. So it must be something wrong with the monitor. Unfortunately now it's too late to return it to the shop. I tried to download memtest and wrote the image to a USB stick but it does not work. When I press F12 to try to boot from the USB stick, I get the message "Operating system not found".

Thank you. The computer worked fine for 8 years. It crashed for the first time 10 minutes after I connected my new HP24f external monitor. It crashes about once a day whenever the monitor is connected. When the monitor is not connected, it never crashes. So it must be something wrong with the monitor. Unfortunately now it's too late to return it to the shop. I tried to download memtest and wrote the image to a USB stick but it does not work. When I press F12 to try to boot from the USB stick, I get the message "Operating system not found".

Did you try another monitor with the laptop? The monitor can't cause crashing it just displays what the laptop sends to it, maybe the port it's on is bad or the video card. Need to test with another monitor, it will probably do the same thing.

Jul 11, 2020
Did you try another monitor with the laptop? The monitor can't cause crashing it just displays what the laptop sends to it, maybe the port it's on is bad or the video card. Need to test with another monitor, it will probably do the same thing.
I made an experiment and extended the displays across the external monitor and the laptop's own monitor. After the last all-green screen crash in the external monitor, I checked the laptop's own monitor and it was still OK. So the computer itself did not crash. It was the external monitor that stopped working, showing a green screen and causing the computer to make a continuous sound. When I pressed the setting buttons under the monitor, I could see their menus on the monitor (but couldn't solve the green screen problem by clicking on any button). Furthermore, I could not do anything in the computer. The mouse and keyboard did not work. So the crash of the external monitor caused the laptop to freeze, not to crash. The only solution for this was to force the computer to shut down, losing all my work. So the problem is the external monitor; it's crashing anf causing the laptop to freeze. I am losing a lot of unsaved work every day so I'm about to throw the monitor away, as this situation is unsustainable. I wish I could understand what is going on. Are there any diagnostics that I can access on Windows to learn what is causing the monitor to crash?

The monitor can't crash. They can stop displaying things or the LCD screen can go bad, but they don't crash. It's the video card external output or maybe cable causing some electrical issue with the external video port. You can try a different cable or another monitor and see how things run.

Jul 11, 2020
An update on this problem. The monitor is still crashing once or twice a day. I tried with a different cable. 10 minutes later, the monitor crashed again. I tried connecting the laptop to another monitor for 2 weeks. It never crashed. So the problem is this particular monitor. Suddenly, the screens goes single-color, sometimes with a continuous sound, other times silent. There is no solution other than shutting down the computer by force, losing unsaved work. This happens every single day. It is not a memory problem. Today the monitor crashed when there was only Windows Media Player open, no other programs at al. From what I see in this forum, it seems that there is no diagnostics anywhere in Windows that can tell me what went wrong. The solution is obviously to throw the monitor away as it's too late to return it to the shop. But the alternative is keep using the laptop own screen, which hurts my eyes, so it's a trade-off between looking at a small screen or looking at a big screem but knowing it will crash every day and losign unsaved work. Does anyone have any idea of what can be causing the problem? Or if there is any way of knowing, from any diagnostics, or log files, what could be causing the problem? In the meanwhile, I advise all to NOT TO BUY HP24f screen!

An update on this problem. The monitor is still crashing once or twice a day. I tried with a different cable. 10 minutes later, the monitor crashed again. I tried connecting the laptop to another monitor for 2 weeks. It never crashed. So the problem is this particular monitor. Suddenly, the screens goes single-color, sometimes with a continuous sound, other times silent. There is no solution other than shutting down the computer by force, losing unsaved work. This happens every single day. It is not a memory problem. Today the monitor crashed when there was only Windows Media Player open, no other programs at al. From what I see in this forum, it seems that there is no diagnostics anywhere in Windows that can tell me what went wrong. The solution is obviously to throw the monitor away as it's too late to return it to the shop. But the alternative is keep using the laptop own screen, which hurts my eyes, so it's a trade-off between looking at a small screen or looking at a big screem but knowing it will crash every day and losign unsaved work. Does anyone have any idea of what can be causing the problem? Or if there is any way of knowing, from any diagnostics, or log files, what could be causing the problem? In the meanwhile, I advise all to NOT TO BUY HP24f screen!

You can just replace that monitor, but I still don't see how that the monitor would cause the computer itself to crash. Maybe the video port on it was bad and it's causing the video port on the laptop to overload and crash the system. This other monitor you tested, were you using the same connection type?

Jul 11, 2020
You can just replace that monitor, but I still don't see how that the monitor would cause the computer itself to crash. Maybe the video port on it was bad and it's causing the video port on the laptop to overload and crash the system. This other monitor you tested, were you using the same connection type?
The other monitor used the same connection type, and the same cable. Let me clarify the problem: the monitor does not cause the computer to crash. The monitor turns all green/pink/yellow and at the same time everything in the laptop freezes. Sometimes the computer makes a continuous loud sounds, others it remains silent. But eveything freezes. I cannot use mouse or keyboard. The only solution is to shut down the computer by force. I tried to use double display to see what happens. When the external monitor crashed and went all green, the main display remained the same (it didn't crash). But nothing (keyboard, mouse) worked, everything was frozen. I disconnected the external monitor, but nothing happened. I had to shut down the computer..

The other monitor used the same connection type, and the same cable. Let me clarify the problem: the monitor does not cause the computer to crash. The monitor turns all green/pink/yellow and at the same time everything in the laptop freezes. Sometimes the computer makes a continuous loud sounds, others it remains silent. But eveything freezes. I cannot use mouse or keyboard. The only solution is to shut down the computer by force. I tried to use double display to see what happens. When the external monitor crashed and went all green, the main display remained the same (it didn't crash). But nothing (keyboard, mouse) worked, everything was frozen. I disconnected the external monitor, but nothing happened. I had to shut down the computer..

Yes, what happens to the laptop is the laptop crashing, sound stuck, mouse/keyboard not working, display corrupting, that is the computer crashing.

Jul 11, 2020
If it's the laptop crashing, then surely it must be possible to check some diagnostics on why that happened? But if I go to Windows Event Viewer I can't find any information. The only thing logged is "the system has reboted without cleaning shutting down first". There's nothing under "Hardware events".

Jul 11, 2020
The monitor is now crashing my computer 4-5 times a day. Does anyone have any suggestions for possible solutions or diagnostics. Would updating from Windows 7 to Windows 10 make any difference? Is there any program or driver that could possible be conflicting with the monitor and cause it to crash? Maybe an antivirus? Maybe the computer is old and crashes because somehow is not compatible with the monitor? (but it was fine when i connect it to a TV). I am running out of solutions and I wonder if any of these may be valid hypotheses for what is the source of the porblem

The monitor is now crashing my computer 4-5 times a day. Does anyone have any suggestions for possible solutions or diagnostics. Would updating from Windows 7 to Windows 10 make any difference? Is there any program or driver that could possible be conflicting with the monitor and cause it to crash? Maybe an antivirus? Maybe the computer is old and crashes because somehow is not compatible with the monitor? (but it was fine when i connect it to a TV). I am running out of solutions and I wonder if any of these may be valid hypotheses for what is the source of the porblem

If this never happens with any other screen, just use another monitor. Did you try using a different connection type to the screen? Did you test the monitor on another computer?

Jul 11, 2020
If this never happens with any other screen, just use another monitor. Did you try using a different connection type to the screen? Did you test the monitor on another computer?
This screen works on another computer. This computer works on another screen. But when using this screen on this computer, the screen makes the computer crash 2-3 times a day. I tried with a new cable, it does not solve the problem. After 6 months, I still do not have a clue of how to solve the problem, how to know the cause, or even where to search for possible causes. Is there any log file somewhere in Windows where I can see any information on the reason why the screen crashes? I cannot find any information on Windows Event Viewer other than my forcing the computer to shut down, after the screen freezes the computer. Could the problem be caused by incompatibility of the monitor with some program? Antivirus usually cause problems. I also had issues with Cisco Any Connect before. I know I could just replace the screen. But there is no guarantee than this problem would not happen again on this computer. And I know I could replace the computer. But there is no guarantee the problem would not happen again on this screen. I could also take both to a computr repair shop. But that would cost a lot and anyway they are closed because of lockdown. Anyone has any clue of what might be the problem or at least how can I investigate the reason for the problem? Help would me much appreciated.

Jul 11, 2020
This screen works on another computer. This computer works on another screen. But when using this screen on this computer, the screen makes the computer crash 2-3 times a day. I tried with a new cable, it does not solve the problem. After 6 months, I still do not have a clue of how to solve the problem, how to know the cause, or even where to search for possible causes. Is there any log file somewhere in Windows where I can see any information on the reason why the screen crashes? I cannot find any information on Windows Event Viewer other than my forcing the computer to shut down, after the screen freezes the computer. Could the problem be caused by incompatibility of the monitor with some program? Antivirus usually cause problems. I also had issues with Cisco Any Connect before. I know I could just replace the screen. But there is no guarantee than this problem would not happen again on this computer. And I know I could replace the computer. But there is no guarantee the problem would not happen again on this screen. I could also take both to a computr repair shop. But that would cost a lot and anyway they are closed because of lockdown. Anyone has any clue of what might be the problem or at least how can I investigate the reason for the problem? Help would me much appreciated.
Unfortunately this problem has never been solved. HP24f monitor has made my computer crashed more than 250 times already. I might try asking in another hardware forum but my hopes for a solution are slim. I would't advise anyone to buy an HP monitor.

TRENDING THREADS