HP380G4

What Should I expect in this setup:

2x HP380G4
Both servers running raid10 on 6 10k SCSI disks.

Copying 1 large file between the 2 servers on a cisco Gigabit 3750 switch.

I'm getting 40MB/s :(

Should be at least double that?

--

Med venlig hilsen / Best regards
Nicolai

Nicolai wrote:

> What Should I expect in this setup:
>
> 2x HP380G4
> Both servers running raid10 on 6 10k SCSI disks.
>
> Copying 1 large file between the 2 servers on a cisco Gigabit 3750 switch.
>
> I'm getting 40MB/s :(

That's about 400 Mbit/sec

For scsi-interfaces, the max speeds are:
scsi MBytes/sec width Mbits/sec
1 5 8 40
fast 10 8 80
fast/wide 20 16 160
ultra 20 8 160
wide/ultra 40 16 320
ultra2 40 8 320
wide/ultra2 80 16 640
ultra3 160 16 1280

The speed of the bus is the speed of the slowes device on the bus. Hence if you
have a tape connected, which is ultra2, then the entire bus is on ultra2.

I know DL380 g4 is using i6 raid over ultra3. However, I don't know the
streaming rate of your disks and if the file is continuous on disk. Donnot be
blinded by the burst-rate of the disk, that's only from the disk-buffer, not
from the physical disk.

Since you are writing to raid10, the write-speed is about half of the normal
write speed: the mirror is only written once the origional is finished. The
entire write is finished only when the mirror is finished.

CBee