[SOLVED] HPE 210y CPU fan - help me find a replacement

Jul 3, 2020
I'm trying to bring an older HP HPE 210y back to life. specs: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02016581 The cpu fan slows down or stops after a few days causing the computer to overheat and a blue screen shutdown - this happens with moderate load on the computer. I'd like to get the computer running with no heat issues or shutdowns. Ideally I'd like to:

1) Just replace the fan with something better, but the fan seems to be somehow riveted or molded into the heatsink so I'm not sure if this is possible.

2) If just replacing the fan is impossible then upgrading the cooler to something that works better than the OEM cooler would be my next preference.

3) Failing #s 1 and 2 above I'd just like to find a replacement for the existing unit.

I'm a bit daunted by all the specs and have never replaced the heatsink & fan before. I've been searching for appropriate product matches on Amazon but am a bit lost in voltages, pin counts, millimeter sizes and compatibility. Almost everything there seems to be for newer computerss and sockets.

I'm asking for help identifying replacement parts that will work with this computer on a limited budget. I'd also appreciate tips / walkthrough links for someone attempting to replace the heatsink and cpu fan on an AMD with AM3 socket type. Thanks in advance for your help.

Solution
Couple of questions:
Are the dimensions listed for cpu fans height x width x depth?

What do the watts ratings on the fans mean? Does this relate to any of the specs on the computer in terms of whether the cpu fan is compatible with a particular computer?
The wattage rating on a cooler is the maximum recommended wattage of CPU that cooler can handle. The X4 945 that your HP came with is a 95W CPU. You are going to want a 100W or 125W rated cooler.
If you have 14cm height then you should get something like this -- https://www.newegg.com/deepcool-gammaxx-300/p/N82E16835856006
Specs say 136mm tall.

kanewolf

Titan
I'm trying to bring an older HP HPE 210y back to life. specs: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02016581 The cpu fan slows down or stops after a few days causing the computer to overheat and a blue screen shutdown - this happens with moderate load on the computer. I'd like to get the computer running with no heat issues or shutdowns. Ideally I'd like to:

1) Just replace the fan with something better, but the fan seems to be somehow riveted or molded into the heatsink so I'm not sure if this is possible.

2) If just replacing the fan is impossible then upgrading the cooler to something that works better than the OEM cooler would be my next preference.

3) Failing #s 1 and 2 above I'd just like to find a replacement for the existing unit.

I'm a bit daunted by all the specs and have never replaced the heatsink & fan before. I've been searching for appropriate product matches on Amazon but am a bit lost in voltages, pin counts, millimeter sizes and compatibility. Almost everything there seems to be for newer computerss and sockets.

I'm asking for help identifying replacement parts that will work with this computer on a limited budget. I'd also appreciate tips / walkthrough links for someone attempting to replace the heatsink and cpu fan on an AMD with AM3 socket type. Thanks in advance for your help.
That is a standard AM3 motherboard for mounting a CPU cooler. An aftermarket cooler should be easy to install. The one think you need to check is how tall a replacement cooler can be. The HP specs won't provide that. You may have to measure from the top of the CPU to a straighedge across the edge of the case.

Jul 3, 2020
Couple of questions:

What do the watts ratings on the fans mean? Does this relate to any of the specs on the computer in terms of whether the cpu fan is compatible with a particular computer?

kanewolf

Titan
Couple of questions:

The wattage rating on a cooler is the maximum recommended wattage of CPU that cooler can handle. The X4 945 that your HP came with is a 95W CPU. You are going to want a 100W or 125W rated cooler.
If you have 14cm height then you should get something like this -- https://www.newegg.com/deepcool-gammaxx-300/p/N82E16835856006
Specs say 136mm tall.

Reactions: pmw332
Solution
Jul 3, 2020
Specs say 136mm tall.
Thanks for your reply! It looks like the fan has a 4 pin end but the motherboard seems to be set up for 3 pins. Do I need an adapter for this? Any tips on what type of adapter to get or can this work with 3 a pin end on motherboard?

Last edited: