HP's Chromebook Competitor "Stream" Costs $299, Not $199

Status
Not open for further replies.

alextheblue

Distinguished
It's the same price as their 14" Chromebook so... at least within the realm of HP devices, I'd say it competes pretty well. The Beats quad-speaker setup is nice and all, but I think people looking for a device in this price range aren't too concerned about audio. If they were they'd probably hook up a pair of headphones or external speakers anyway.

Anyway if you want a cheap entry-level device, look for Asus' X205. That one will definitely be very competitively priced.

voltagetoe

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
HP makes insultingly unreliable devices statistically. Even high end models have cheap guts and cheap engineering. I've lost two laptops due ridiculous GPU soldering design error. I've owned two printers that have worst engineering ever (useless defunctional junk). Never again !

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Why does this thing weigh 4 pounds if it's fanless? kinda missed the point of going with a 4.5 watt Chip HP? it's not battery because it only gets 6 hours.

frozentundra123456

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Seems too expensive considering you can already get atom windows laptops for around 200.00, and that it is still only 768p. And battery life is mediocre at best. Seems their priorities are kind of weird. I would have preferred to see the money spent on the Beats Audio put into a bigger battery or higher resolution screen.

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
HP makes insultingly unreliable devices statistically. Even high end models have cheap guts and cheap engineering. I've lost two laptops due ridiculous GPU soldering design error. I've owned two printers that have worst engineering ever (useless defunctional junk). Never again !

You must be using a consumer line.

HP's business computers are top in their class compared to other companies. Not sure what articles you're reading.

OT: This "Stream" PC seems to try to be a jack of all trades instead of targeting the correct audience as a lightweight, mobile and efficient laptop.

Chris Droste

Honorable
May 29, 2013
maybe they were paranoid and put 2 pounds of copper heatsink in this? because a 3-cel battery certainly doesn't account for the weight, unless this thing has a cast steel frame lol

alextheblue

Distinguished
I've lost two laptops due ridiculous GPU soldering design error.
If you're referring to devices affected by "Bumpgate" that was mostly Nvidia's fault. I also lost a laptop to that. It affected discrete GPUs as well as those with integrated graphics (MCP).
Something with Windows in it was never going to be cheap.
Again, it's the same price as their equivalent Chromebook. Windows with Bing, look it up. There are cheap Windows devices all over, now. :/

Seems too expensive considering you can already get atom windows laptops for around 200.00,
Stop right there. You've just solved the mystery, no need to go any further. :p Still, I would agree that it should have been no more than $250 to start, drop the beats audio.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Windows 8 on 2GB is not good. 32GB does not leave much room after the OS nor does 64GB. 3 cell battery really? 100GB online for 2 years so how do I access this offline? This price is with a free OS with Bing. I've seen touch screen laptops for little more and they have HDDs and longer runtimes.

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012
maybe they were paranoid and put 2 pounds of copper heatsink in this? because a 3-cel battery certainly doesn't account for the weight, unless this thing has a cast steel frame lol
With an AMD processor, I can't blame them :p

Fanboys will be fanboys huh? It's a well known fact that Intel's Atom line is absolute garbage compared to AMD's E-series and now their kabini and Beema series.

Chris Droste

Honorable
May 29, 2013
i was only commenting on the weight of the small laptop, but i get the joke inherent to the reply comment. i like AMD for a performance chip in such a diminutive configuration but Intel classically takes AMD to school on battery life and TDP. not even gonna fanboy on that note.

Nuckles_56

Admirable

I have used intel atom based netbooks and they were the slowest things possible and as a result I wouldn't ever buy anything powered by an atom

Status
Not open for further replies.