prodaytrader

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
It seems that I bought my laptop 6 weeks before the official free vista give away for HP products. As such I dont qualify, at least not officially. According to HP's website, I have to submit a copy of my receipt with the form for the free upgrade. I was thinking I might just change the dates on the receipt since I seriously doubt they will do any sort of research to ensure that the dates are correct. If they were, then why would they ask for my receipt? I am assuming that it is my receipt that will be the official document as to whether or not I qualify and if it looks like my orginal receipt but with the dates changed then maybe I can get the free upgrade. My only concern is that my model number doesnt qualify since it didnt come with a sticker that says vista ready or qualifies for free upgrade. Maybe HP only put that sticker on certain laptops and mine wasnt one of them. Can anyone think of a reason why this wont work? I seriously doubt that the rebate police will come knock on my door for forging a receipt. Any thoughts, other then the fact that I am a crook? I know this isnt exactly legal, but its not exactly fair on their part either. I bought the thing a few weeks early and now I get boned out of a free upgrade. That's not exactly what I would call great customer service on HP's part.

Solution
Rather than committing fraud (which is a felony) why not just call HP and express your feelings? Chances are that they'll give you the upgrade just to keep you as a customer.

And anyway, I'm sure they check for when that system was registered with them, so they'll see it was six weeks before the date on the receipt.

My opinion: you bought the thing a month and a half early, not a "few weeks." HP is not being unfair, they're following the rules that they set. Since you're posting on here I assume you're fairly knowledgeable about computers. Therefore you must have known that MS was planning on doing the upgrade coupons, and you could have waited until the system was in place before buying your laptop.

Spiv

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Rather than committing fraud (which is a felony) why not just call HP and express your feelings? Chances are that they'll give you the upgrade just to keep you as a customer.

And anyway, I'm sure they check for when that system was registered with them, so they'll see it was six weeks before the date on the receipt.

My opinion: you bought the thing a month and a half early, not a "few weeks." HP is not being unfair, they're following the rules that they set. Since you're posting on here I assume you're fairly knowledgeable about computers. Therefore you must have known that MS was planning on doing the upgrade coupons, and you could have waited until the system was in place before buying your laptop.

Solution