HP's Got a Crazy-slim Laptop Called the Spectre

Status
Not open for further replies.

sseyler

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]i hope it's not made out of plastic....that would ruin the whole deal....we need some carbon fiber or magnesium laptops[/citation]

I second this. Plastic would probably be its death spell.

jlats26

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
That video just made me angry....not excited...bad form HP...make sure your next teaser actually features the product your trying to hype.

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
I watched the trailer without sound. I have no idea what they're trying to sell, but it seemed to be thin sheets of plastic or glass that rotate in mid air - perhaps some sort of modern art piece.

If HP wants me to spend money on their product, they'd better showcase the product visually. I like to mute commercials. The splashy effects were nice, but I still don't know what HP is selling.

Besides, it's HP. They lost my trust in 2007 with a bad laptop.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]sseyler[/nom]I second this. Plastic would probably be its death spell.[/citation]
death spell?
death well?
death shell?
death tell?

It's 'death knell' - something that heralds death or destruction

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
well, at least the sfx were pretty cool, but it my be a good idea to include "HP" somewhere in there. but they're doing CES anyway

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]i hope it's not made out of plastic....that would ruin the whole deal....we need some carbon fiber or magnesium laptops[/citation]

Uh, "carbon fiber" is plastic with carbon fibers in it.

I wouldn't have a problem with a properly engineered plastic body for something like this.

I think it's a bit funny how many people still think of "plastic" as "cheap".

;)

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
All of HP's newest Laptop have really upped the use of metals and build quality. My parents got a Envy17 and it is both beautiful and sturdy feeling. It would be impossible to quantify it to a Macbook's perceived value but HP is finally going in the right direction. Thank you Apple for pushing peoples perception of what quality is because now us consumers can buy affordable products with nice build quality. I hope HP simplifies their laptops model names and reduce the number of models.

DaddyW123

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
I think it's still a bit early for carbon fiber laptops. The material is still pretty pricy to produce. So you will be adding like $300 to the price tag at least, just to be able to say "My laptop is made out of Carbon Fiber! What's yours made out of? Plastic?"
Yeah, no thanks.

[citation][nom]tntom[/nom]All of HP's newest Laptop have really upped the use of metals and build quality. My parents got a Envy17 and it is both beautiful and sturdy feeling. It would be impossible to quantify it to a Macbook's perceived value but HP is finally going in the right direction. Thank you Apple for pushing peoples perception of what quality is because now us consumers can buy affordable products with nice build quality.[/citation]
Apple doesn't make laptops. The MacBook and MBP are made by Quanta. Quanta also makes most of HP's laptops.

iLLz

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003
That looked mighty thin if you ask me. Interesting if the laptop actually is that thin or if that's just the screen element.

G

Ultra books are all the rage now. But can HP hold the line on costs? The Macbook Air can be bought for a grand and in reality the PC makers do not have the magic Apple does to just match that price with similar hardware. The PC makers need to come under that and make it unique. Trouble is if you go too thin your forced to use SSD drives and that adds to the cost real quick. I have a MacBook Air and while I like the weight of it. The SSD drive is too small already for me. Its still the achilles heal for SSD's.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
SPECTRE? If they name it Spectre, I expect included copies of the 1960s and 1970s James Bond films that had SPECTRE as the enemy and an autographed picture from Donald Pleasence. Only then will I allow HP to bring me back to their sub-par products and poor service.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]i hope it's not made out of plastic....that would ruin the whole deal....we need some carbon fiber or magnesium laptops[/citation]Not all plastic is created equal. They should just say it's made out of an advanced composite material, would that help? They could strengthen it by using more expensive materials sparingly, where it counts.

If they get too exotic, COST will ruin it - only Apple seems to have a lot of success in the outrageously expensive segment of the market. Non-Apple laptops have to compete with each other on design, price, and specs all at once.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Marcus52[/nom]Uh, "carbon fiber" is plastic with carbon fibers in it.I wouldn't have a problem with a properly engineered plastic body for something like this.I think it's a bit funny how many people still think of "plastic" as "cheap".[/citation]
not it's not....carbon fiber molds are sheets of wover carbon blankets held together in a specific shape or form with epoxy.....YES plastic is cheap, especially when you are talking about it being used for a slim laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.