HP's Lack of Invention is Why webOS Failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
HP let their tablet fail just like Microsoft does so often with their products. They didn't support it. They also weren't able to give it any resources or time. I agree with clonazepam- I too equate HP with cheap molded plastic. And it's one thing if your products are solid but not very flashy or innovative (think Lenovo) but it's completely another if your products are trash that have zero reliability and are not consumer friendly. Oh and by the way, installing 20 different trial programs and useless applications is NOT consumer friendly, especially when you do stupid stuff like sell laptops running Vista with 1 GB of RAM to unsuspecting consumers along with all the bloatware.

G

"A good read"??? Seriously. Wolfgang is a symbol of typical media F.U.D journalism in technology topics. After having relied on HP enterprise servers and storage for over a decade, your infant dribble is pathetic. No, HP doesn't need to dabble in pathetic consumer crap, but they are rock solid in the enterprise. The problem with so-called "journalists" that write these "hey, I woke up, got a Starbucks, and thought I'd write on the latest tech topic of the day" is they've never spent a day having to provide 101% uptime and it's easy on their consumer device to write whatever drivel spills out of their trap. Useless waste of thought as usual with no benefit to persons actually working IN the tech industry.

G

Great article, balanced and well said. You forget one other thing, not many palm people stuck around following the buyout. And those who did were gone within months. My faith in HP died when Rahul Sood left. Up till that point it was his excitement that really had me interested in the future of HP branded webOS products, but once he was gone, I looked at what was left of "Palm" and it wasn't much.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
I know there would be the "easy opportunity" for some readers to trash the entire analysis and passion in this article for the suspicious reason that Apple is many times mentioned as the company to have in mind. Again that would be very short sighted. But personally, I can't deny I expected more from HP. I believed the year HP took to develop their tablet and the Palm acquisition would be enough to produce maybe the best iPad challenger or even something better, different. And this situation with HP comes to reveal more than three things but I want to point just to 3. Apple has done very well their job with the iPad, even if you can't take any advantage of it or you hate it because its Apple. It is nothing trivial to produce a massive popular computer gadget. Second, HP's own big problems to produce one. My third conclusion is another big denial for many: The desktop PC tower form factor as we came to know it is dying as the massive default computer world wide. HP also announced a spin off of their PC business. What could happen tomorrow with the PC that could regain the concept to a better situation I don't know. Maybe the gamers in general could buy the PC more time in market interest. The hardcore PC users will always be there. I know I will use the tower PC while I find it the best way and economically faceable for me to produce my job.

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Well, I ordered the 16gb version @ $99. Hopefully someone will come out with a way to load Android on it. I'll just use it to surf the web and check email when I am out and about.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
I definitely disagree about HP small business and consumer OEM PCs. While they aren't flashy or gaming machines they are actually pretty good quality and from my experience have very good reliability. Their tech support is also quite good as is their warranty if you need it.

I think HP is done as a major force in the computing business if they completely abandon the PSG entirely. It screams FAILURE at the most elemental level.

I would agree that HP needs to streamline their PC lines and bring the overall hardware quality back to the levels they enjoyed around the late 90s and early 00s.

They should kill the entry level models and concentrate on mid and higher priced units.

I've always been a big fan of their products . More worrying is the fact that it seems like US companies are just giving up the PC business without even a fight at all.

Sorry but this is DEPRESSING TO ME!!!!!!!

HP PLEASE ....DON'T GIVE UP THE PC BUSINESS!

G

Funny commentary, so true; then I associate HP brand to good laptops and printer, and enterprise stuff, IBM did not throw out core business with Lenovo but HP is doing it.

My insistence on Windows Mobile or even older Palm OS is purely for one app: TCPMP; threw that out on webOS I pretend Palm does not exist (same goes Windows Phone 7) That surely says what a "platform" is, wreck that and you effectively screw the entire package.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... two big companies bid for palm because of WebOS: HP and Apple... but they sold to HP because of a matter of principle... the designer of WebOS was a former apple employee... if apple would win the bid, i think the iOS and WebOS together would be a awesome thing... because of apple innovative spirit and skill to proper copy and enhance functions...

G

I wonder how this assessment will change given that HP is giving away the pad for $149 for the 32GB model, flooding the market with it and opening the door for a usable platform?

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
That is all fine and dandy, but corporate welfare (the tax payers will foot the bill for your failure through a tax deduction) is ultimately why this product failed.

They gave up at the 1st sign of adversity and took the tax deal to landfill the product rather than be confident that they could eventually succeed.

Nobody ever succeeded by giving up immediately, or so I've been taught. Why does this rule not apply to HP? Let alone why are they rewarded with a golden pillow to land on for falling on their ass?

Ultimately the decision makers will not be punished, only the people who did the actual work.

G

Despite what the current HP CEO thinks, HP actually does have a good presence in the consumer computer market. HP is quite different from IBM which presence trails behind many competitors. Sure the profit margin is not what it is used to be, and PC business is now a mature and stagnant business like car industry is. Nonetheless, a source of profit is still profit. Is HP really bleeding money in this segment? Why give up the leadership position when there is no real reason to? Heck even my company purchase new PC exclusively from HP alone. There is a lot of goodwill there.

I feel HP once again manages to employ a leader who is too keen on showing that he can make a difference and is willing to risk the whole company future to achieve his own goal. Maybe they should have just employ someone who is more on defense and streamline the business instead of someone who tries to achieve more growth even when there is no sound business plan.

mrmike_49

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]fyasko[/nom]webOS failed because HP has retards at the helm.[/citation]

Yeah, especially their new CEO - he's a software guy, so naturally he's gonna turn HP into a software company - pathetic! It really is the worst of American business (mis)management: management by executive fiat

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Wow this is mind blowing yet sad news.
I remember back in the early to mid 1970's
HP had an awesome line of advanced programmable calculators (almost microcomputers).Easy to write complex programs on.A very compelling well built practical line of products they had back then.I myself owned a HP-67 and a friend of mine had the earlier HP-65.Far more practical,versatile and useful than the clunky big Altair 8800 or the IMSAI 8080 monstrosities.Oh those early big microcomputers were cool though but just impractical.Even Steve Wozniak (I think) of Apple Computer fame worked in HP's programmable calculator division before creating his own Apple I microcomputer.
They (HP) had developed such a reputation that even NASA astronauts and engineers used their programmable calculators during the late 1960's and the decade of the 1970's.

So they are even considering abandoning their PC line too?
Ouch and even mind boggling.I was even considering getting a HP notebook with a AMD A4 Fusion CPU with a very good battery life,decent CPU power,small size that could even be used for light or lower res gaming for around $380.
I'll have to reconsider my decision if they decide to sell off their PC business.What a sad ending.

doggrell3000

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
apple , microsoft , google , hp , dell , ibm , and every tablet phone laptop desktop and software big household name which are all worth multi billions of dollars and have fleeced consumers out of every dime they can spare - all have two things in common : they were virtually unknown twenty five years ago and they will be a faint fading memory twenty five years in the future . mark my words .

G

doggrell3000, how can anyone take your word seriously when you are completely incapable of either remembering how long most of the companies you named have been around, or you're completely incapable of such simple arithmetic, or... well, there's nothing redeeming from your post for claims, as the only company you mentioned by name that's not been around over 25 years is Google.

doggrll3000 will be dead in less than 10 years from a drug overdose - mark my words :D

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
You can invent reasons like "lack of innovation" but it's not why it has failed.

A couple of weeks ago I didn't even check what it does, before ruling it out, when considering what tablet to buy. Yet another web platform, pushed by a single manufacturer who's just trying to gain market share, didn't sound promising at all, I saw this obvious end coming, albeit not so soon.

And all the blabla about cool platforms, dual/quad core CPUs, gigapuxel cameras with 2mm lens, wake up people. It's all crap. Screen quality, smooth UI (and no, you don't need dual/quadcore for it, just optimized code, not bloated bytecode running in a JVM with no JIT) and battery life is all that one has to care about about these gadgets. Oh, and the fact that you can install applications on it, without needing some greedy bastard's approval.

And one more thing, pardon if it hurts your feelings, but mobile OS functionality at the moment is VERY VERY VERY BASIC. Even this basic thing is hard for google to keep it up, but only because there are gazillion of hardware configurations to support. There is NOT A SINGLE mobile OS out in the wilds, having more functions than what a group of dozen developers could achieve within 12 month using Linux as a base (for a particular gadget).

doggrell3000

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
dear hairballs
i could be wrong about my predictions . i have been wrong before . i did not state how long these big technology companies have been in business - only that they were unknown to the mass consumer twenty five years ago . my point is that we should not underestimate the accelerating pace and sweeping change that will render our present electronic marvels completely obsolete within shorter and shorter cycles of time . as for my possible demise from a drug overdose - if it didn't happen in the seventies and eighties ( given my truly irrational behavior in those days ) then i doubt it will prove to be my final means of departing my virtual existence .

So, they want to become mainly a software company (http://www.freedomcurrent.com/trendingnews/hp-shakes-things-up-and-purchases-autonomy.html).
The same company that wrote the most bloated printer drivers out there?
yeah, sign me up for that.....

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
If this is an indication of how they plan on backing future projects, by all means, let them leave the PC business. Plenty other companies will take up the slack.

Status
Not open for further replies.