Hsf and New Fans Temperature Difference Test Results

allenmelon

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Hello, this is a comparison between stock hsf, dual fans, and better fans. My computer specs are as follows:

I7-920 Processor
Raidmax Smilodon Case
Asus P6T Motherboard

So i decided to get a new cpu cooler, the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065&Tpk=cooler%20master%20hyper%20212 , and two better fans, Thermaltake Smart Fan 120mm http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999122&Tpk=thermaltake%20a2018 . I was wondering how much of a difference it would make to get two fans, and the new fan compared to the stock, so here are my results.

Bolded numbers are the cpu temperature, and the other four numbers are the core temps. Also, the new Thermaltake fans i used, had a speed controller which i used, and in these tests, all the temps i used with the new fan were at max speed. For all these tests, except the last one, i didnt change the thermal paste each time, so the only thing i changed were the fans, making the tests fair and comparable. Idle temps were the temps that stabilized after turning on the computer, and load temps were temps that stabilized after a few minutes of prime95. These temps were taken from Everest.

Stock Fan x1
Idle - 31, 40, 38, 42, 35
Load - 54, 64, 65, 63, 61

New Thermaltake Fan x1
Idle - 27, 36, 35, 38, 31
Load - 49, 60, 61, 60, 56

Stock fan x1 pushing airflow, New Thermaltake Fan x1 pulling airflow
Idle - 29, 38, 36, 40, 34
Load - 51, 62, 61, 60, 58

New Thermaltake Fans x2
Idle - 26, 36, 34, 38, 31
Load - 48, 61, 61, 60, 58

New Thermaltake Fans x2 with better reapplied thermal paste
Idle - 26, 35, 34, 37, 30
Load - 42, 54, 53, 53, 49

So there are the results in numbers. From one stock fan, to 2 new fans, the temperature difference in idle, is about 5 degrees, and load about 3-5 degrees. From one new fan to two new fans, the temperature difference is around 1 degree, not much. From badly applied thermal paste to better applied paste, idle temps differ about 1 degree, load around 6-9 degrees. Overall, getting new fans, and two of them, doesn't make much of a difference in temperature, personally, I don't think it was worth the 25 dollars, but maybe it is for extreme overclockers. Also, the new fans at max speed are pretty loud as many people have said in their reviews, it may be unbearable for long times, but it isn't like a deafening sound, its just loud for a computer.
Anyways, let there be discussion!

P.S. does anyone know how i can automatically control my fan speeds by temperature using software? one fan is plugged into the cpu fan, and the other is plugged into the power fan.

In the bios there should be settings to control the fan speed of the one plugged into the CPU fan plug on the motherboard. You'll be able to select the temperature at which the fan will be at max speed and the min speed and it will auto adjust in between. At least that's how it works for my AM2+ board, I can't say for sure for intel. As for the one plugged directly into the power supply... well it's plugged into the power supply so there is nothing you can do about that beside buying a separate piece of fan controlling hardware.

For software programs, you can use speedfan and see what fans it detects but you still won't get the one plugged into the power supply because it's not attached to anything that can control it (like the motherboard).

allenmelon

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
No, the other fan is connected to pins called PWR FAN, meaning power fan, im assuming. in bios, i havent come across a setting that could control the fan speed by temperature, and i also see the power fan in the bios, just the rpm, nothing else i can change.

In that case speedfan might be able to detect it.

The PWR FAN is actually for your power supply some PSU have a wire to connect to your motherboard so it can be monitored. If you connect a regular fan to it you can not control the speed of it, it will just run full speed.

allenmelon

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
@zipzoomflyhigh
Well, true, but theres many benchmarks out there that already tested that, but i havent seen any benchmarks of using different fans or multiple fans, so i decided to do that incase anyone else was wondering the same question as me.

About the PWR fan, the thermaltake fans came with a speed controller knob that i can use to change the speed from outside the computer, so its not running at full speed, but i did notice something weird, the cpu fan, is running around 1300rpm, while the one connected to pwr fan, is running at 1500rpm. Weird, but doesn't matter. I can see the cpu fan and the pwr fan rpm from speedfan, but how do i set temperature control options? Something like rivatuner for the cpu would be great.

P.S. also, does anyone know how i can import my rivatuner settings from xp 32-bit to windows 7 64-bit? they are dualbooting on the same hd. thanks!