HSF and Thermal Paste

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
I know that this is a newbie question.
But, do you think how much thermal paste should i place between the heatsink and the cpu.
I haven't tried it before so I'm curious and also cautious.

THis applies to AMD Athlon XP or 64 processors, because I Will build those systems later this year.

<b>.:::.:::.:::.</b>

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
Well, its kind of hard to describe. I have heard people cover the whole core of an Athlon XP about paper thin. I personally put about the size of a pencil eraser, and when the heatsink is placed on top, it pushes the paste all across the core. If you put too much, it can leak over the sides, and onto the transistors, which is bad. You can have short-circuiting and stuff. Artic Silver is probably the best thermal paste, but it does have a higher conductivity than other pastes.

endyen

Splendid
The purpose of thermal interface material, is to fill the tiny valleys between the two mating surfaces. The point is, that if there is nothing in there, air will sit. Air is a very poor conductor. The best thing is to have 2 perfectly flat surfaces, as metal to metal would allow for the best heat conduction. If you have thermal paste where it is not needed, it will reduce heat transfer.
All of that to say use as little as possible to cover bothe surfaces, then smoosh them together as best you can.

JLacey64

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2004
Me use to apply just a little amount of thermal paste, but never attempt to place more after removing the HSF to clean the CPU and placing the HSF again.

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
Ok! Thanks.

I thought using a thermal paste is a requirement, but it should just help to improve to lower the heat dissipation of the CPU.

<b>.:::.:::.:::.</b>

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
It kind of <i> is </i> a requirement.

Unless the HSF come with a thermal pad...

A long long time ago, but I can still remember, how that music used to make me smile... <A HREF="http://www.nexus.hu/zonix/DIGGER.MID" target="_new"><b><font color=blue>Digger rulz</font color=blue></b></A>