banesong

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, here is my question:

I will be putting a Tbird 1.3 on a KT7(e?) board, and need to get a HSF for it. Will not be overclocking, and want to get one that won't make a huge racket. I currently have a FOP38, and that thing sounds like an airplane taking off. Suggestions?

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Try the Dragon Orb 3 yet. Wait that sound worse then a FOP38. OCZ Gladitor maybe i dont know for me its Loud = Cool

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

G

Put a feather filled pillow directly over it that should help cool it down

Your nice new PC might be faster then my 286, but my 286 makes a better door stop :smile:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well the silverado is very quiet.
you may also want to consider putting a few pieces of sound absorbing foam inside your case.

i have 2 on the left side, directly above the cpu fan and pci cards. they do make a noticable difference.

I'll respect your comments & opinions, even if i disagree with them, Provided you dispay maturity.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
they are two 5" squares, bout an inch thick, have got an adhesive backing and i just mounted them on the left slide of pannel of my case.

dunno where i got them though. my old man had a few samples lying around (he's an engineer) which i purloined.

try asking at a hardware store or audio place.
also bear in mind that different foams adsorb different frequencies, so if you have a high pitched but look for some stuff that does that dynamic range best.

its no miracle cure. my system is still quite loud, but if you really wanna cut down the noise the ideal solution is a couple of quiet casefans, and line the entire insides as much as you can with foam. particularly the bottom.
it may mean that your case is a few degrees C hotter due to lack of heat dissapation throught the metal sides, but if you have decent casefans it shouldnt be an issue.
p.s. try to aviod interrupting the airflow inside.

I'll respect your comments & opinions, even if i disagree with them, Provided you dispay maturity.

madmike

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
Noise is problem for me. I have a FOP38 but I swapped the fan. I'm using a 4500 rpm fan from a Thermaltake Volcano II. This keeps my proc nice and cool, and it's much quieter. CPU temp is only 2 or 3 deg higher than it was with the Delta fan. The Volcano II might have a good heatsink, but I've never tried it. (Anyone had any experience with it?) I decided it was safer and easier to just swap fans.

madmike

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
BTW - A good sound insulator is the material they use for rubber toolbox tray liners. It's about 3/16 inch thick and you can hot-glue it to the side panels of the case - inside, of course. The nice thing is, if you want to take it off, it's easy to remove and the glue peels off the case without much trouble. One tray liner is enough for two side panels.

Era

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2001
I have a 1.2AMD with <A HREF="http://www.dansdata.com/coolercomp_p4.htm#tiger" target="_new">Tiger Miprocool</A> HS(80x61 butt,80x80 top) and a 1,5W Japan Servo fan on it.It's a bit quieter then Sunon,I think.
At 19C ambient temp I have:
40C/28C idle
45C/30C after 2 iterations of 3DMark2001.
You would need a stronger fan.

It's a big HS and it doesn't fit all mobos.(I had to mill off a corner becauce there was a coil in the way)

I have now a really quiet system.(if I close the window I can actually hear the ball bearing whirr,really)
I know that at least the case temp is too high,but I can live with it.I hope my CPU can also.

G

I'm presently trying some car body deadener with foam rubber with one side corigated facing inwards which is stuck on top of the body deadener. Noticable difference in noise reduction on the one side panel I have applied it too. Also sourcing sound proofing material used in music studios to make a surrounding box over the tower with vent cut outs for fan ducts. (a little extreme) Or I could just turn up the sound system!

Medication helps :smile:
<font color=blue>THG needs 2 change the sig' of the week errrr century!</font color=blue>