Question ht-dt-st bd-re bh16ns40 not reading blu ray

Jake Maverick

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
So, I've had this drive for a few years now but have rarely used it. Until today. Rapidly running out of hard drive space....and no funds atm, so figured it would be a good idea to archive some stuff to blu ray. I tried half a dozen blank new disks in it, wouldn't 'see' any of them. I tried up dating my driver, but says I'm fully up to date.

It sees CD and DVDs no problem. I even put in a shop bought Blu ray, but it won't see that either. Has my Bluray drive suddenly downgraded itself to DVD only? :-(

oh, I'm using XP 64 and Windows 7

Jake Maverick

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
CD Burner XP is the basic new one i just d/l'ed, but before that I was using Ashampoo...but that was 2010 version though, so tried something new....canu recommend a totally free one just to try?

What software are you using to write to the drive. The native Windows 7/XP operating systems only write CD/DVDs. Additional software is required to write to blu ray discs.
What software are you using to write to the drive. The native Windows 7/XP operating systems only write CD/DVDs. Additional software is required to write to blu ray discs.

Jake Maverick

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
thanks! d/l'ing now....doesn't say XP is supported any longer, but does anybody know if it will work with that? I think there's a bigger problem though as it simply won't read and blu ray disk anymore...been reading it's a separate lser for that, so maybe it's that that has gone :-(

Jake Maverick

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
didn't fix it :-( just won't see any type of bluray disk....just tried blasting around drive with compressed air, but still no joy. is it worth getting one of those cleaning disks to try? anybody had experience with them?

Jake Maverick

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
it's LG, full details in header....got it off ebay few years back, fully tested to make sure it was all working but never put it to any real use until yesterday :-( i think it's secondary laser that has gone...i wasn't even aware that there were two until i started reading up on it since yesterday!

MrLitschel

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
It's probably toast if it doesn't read any commercial blu-ray discs (movie). It's cheaper to go and buy a new one however XP support won't be there and will be iffy for windows 7 nowadays.

Jake Maverick

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
It's probably toast if it doesn't read any commercial blu-ray discs (movie). It's cheaper to go and buy a new one however XP support won't be there and will be iffy for windows 7 nowadays.
this is my big problem! I don't like using 7....not since NSA was cuaght directly writing code for that...won't go beyond it :-( Linux for internet but i still need to use windows for some things......proving to be a real nightmare. I have very little money and i spent a lot on this drive few years back...so pretty peeved right now! just as i come to put it to some serious use...i spent more as it does BDXL as well, just not got those disks yet :-(

Jake Maverick

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
ah, so cleaning kit came today....ran it constantly for over two hours, still no joy! so took drive to bits in the end and tried cleaning the two lenses with cotton bu dipped in IPA...on re-assembly i found a grey rubbery type blob that presumably feel out of the drive....but anyway, still won't read blu -rays, although dvds still work- i am gutted, spent so much money on that drive few years back and now when i really need to use it it won't work :-(

Thing is though...turns out cd cleansing kit is useless as the lasers are about 20mm away from where the brushes actually are, so was never going to work- so lot of wasted time and a little wasted money...I'm just noting it here just in case somebody else with same problem finds this thread!