HTC Announces Droid DNA Smartphone With 5'' 1080p LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Pez_

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Ho yeah HTC might have read what I wrote in other webpage article about adding a tiny amplifier for headphone usage.. well because my G S3 audio is not enough for bigger headphones..

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Yup, this will be the new trend. Putting way too powerful screens on smartphones. "Our numbers are biggest"

Do these companies ever actually research the tech they're using? Are they intentionally being wasteful or is this just ignorance? The human eye won't notice whether your screen is 300PPI or 440, so unless you're buying a phone for your pet owl the resources used to drive that resolution could be far better used on actual processing.

That could be an interesting experiment. Test a phone running at 1080p and 720p using the same processor and see which one actually gets the job done faster.

G

Beats audio sucks big time...worst choice out there. I rather keep my phone and music player separately as audiophile.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Very impressive.
Soon smartphones will be powered by mini nuclear reactor and able to do 3d holographic projection with many and many of terrabytes in storage. Hopefully it can still make and receive phone calls without disconnections.

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
More credit to Linus Torvalds' arguement on Desktop monitors and their pixel density not progressing since 1999, though they very well could.

As to the phone... luv my HTC One S... even though it's the S. It seems every once in a while HTC slaps something out on the market that raises the bar, even if they don't support it software-wise for much more than nine months (little better than LG in that regard). Battery life has become much more solid since the EVO line but natural evolution in phone processor efficiency has helped that.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]_Pez_[/nom]Ho yeah HTC might have read what I wrote in other webpage article about adding a tiny amplifier for headphone usage.. well because my G S3 audio is not enough for bigger headphones..[/citation]
Its funny you mention that, I like to use a seperate headphone amp for best quality (a HeadRoom TotalBitHead). Its neat to see a manufacturer care enough about audio quality to put a headphone amp in their phone! Well done on that end.

...and I imagine that 1080p display isn't bad to look at either. I wonder if its as crystal clear and bright as the iPhone's Retina display. As much as I love my Samsung Galaxy gadgets and and as good as they are the displays aren't quite as clear as the iPhones (but they're bigger and they're still quite beautiful). It would have been neat for them to put a 1080p display on the Galaxy Note II (makes me wonder why they didn't).

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]thety6on[/nom]Oh man, I can't even imagine how bad the battery life will be[/citation]
Why? Qualcomms SOC is actually pretty damn good with Battery Life.
The screen should use about as much power as most others on the market as well.

Battery life should be just as good as the other high-end handsets.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
I think this pixel density is ridiculous; you'd probably have to use a magnifying glass to not miss the
detail with your eyes. However I suppose making the screen any bigger would turn the device into a tablet instead of a smartphone that can fit in a pocket.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]Yup, this will be the new trend. Putting way too powerful screens on smartphones. "Our numbers are biggest"Do these companies ever actually research the tech they're using? Are they intentionally being wasteful or is this just ignorance? The human eye won't notice whether your screen is 300PPI or 440, so unless you're buying a phone for your pet owl the resources used to drive that resolution could be far better used on actual processing.That could be an interesting experiment. Test a phone running at 1080p and 720p using the same processor and see which one actually gets the job done faster.[/citation]
Actually it depends. If someone has 20 by 20 eyesight or worse then you can't resolve the pixels on a 300ppi screen 10 inches away. However there are people with eyesight that far exceeds 20/20. There are people that at 10 inch they only stop resolving pixels when the screen has pixel density of 572 ppi or higher.

vkg1

Honorable
May 18, 2012
The iPhone is so inadequate compared to this. 5 inches compared to 4. Only old-fashioned idiots cling to the belief that size doesn't matter.

[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom] ...and I imagine that 1080p display isn't bad to look at either. I wonder if its as crystal clear and bright as the iPhone's Retina display. As much as I love my Samsung Galaxy gadgets and and as good as they are the displays aren't quite as clear as the iPhones (but they're bigger and they're still quite beautiful). It would have been neat for them to put a 1080p display on the Galaxy Note II (makes me wonder why they didn't).[/citation]
Since the display on the HTC OneX ( and the one on the X+) is already better than iPhone's display, I don't see a reason why HTC would regress instead of making this one at least as good as the OneX.
As for the Note 2, they will probably make a Note 3 with 1080p. Or maybe they'll make one with flexible display, who knows. Samsung is really pushing it these days.

AFAIK, the only problem with this phone is it's exclusivity with Verizon. HTC would be ill-advised to release this only on one network.

quangluu96

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
What's the use of this Super HD small screen? It's not like everyone have hawk's eye to see the difference o.0 really?!javascript: void(0);

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
HTC makes some really good screens, but WHY would they put in a 2050 mAH battery inside this beast that is not removable?! 440 pixels per inch, 1080 res, and 5inch screen. This phone needs at least a 3000 mAH battery. One HD movie and this thing would be running out of juice.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
HTC seems to have NOT learned their lesson on the One series. The problem with the One X wasn't that it's screen wasn't very good, since the One X actually had a superior screen vs the Galaxy SIII (edging it out since it doesn't have sub pixels, and a normal RGB that displays text smoother). It wasn't that it was slower, since the One X and One S used very similar SOCs vs Samsung's flagship. It wasn't because the camera wasn't flush, since that wasn't a dealbreaker for anyone, and most people thought the One series looked nice....

Samsung won because they offered more storage capacity with the MicroSD slot, had a removable battery, more RAM, and better marketing!

This thing clearly has a better screen vs the Note II, but the Note II has an SD card slot, larger battery that's also removable, and has 32GB and 64GB versions, not just a 16GB. Plus the Note II has Samsung's S pen as a selling point!

Rather than just straight out beat Samsung, they've left users deciding if the screen on the DNA is good enough to justify losing the extra features in Samsung's flagship phones. It's frustrating, since I think I'd still recommend to a friend to buy a Galaxy S or Note II, since the HTC DNA's missing features are important ones.

army_ant7

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Would there even be a point in playing 1080p videos on this thing? Like would we be able to discern a difference between it and a 720p video at the closest, practical, and comfortable viewing distance? Would it be worth the extra juice needed to playback (decode) a 1080p video (not to mention the space required to store one if not streaming)
? ...As was brought by this person:[citation][nom]iKyunG[/nom]HTC makes some really good screens, but WHY would they put in a 2050 mAH battery inside this beast that is not removable?! 440 pixels per inch, 1080 res, and 5inch screen. This phone needs at least a 3000 mAH battery. One HD movie and this thing would be running out of juice.[/citation]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS