HTC Experiences Lackluster Smartphone Sales in October

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Maybe because I'm still waiting for my Thunderbolt's ICS update that was due in August? That kind of douche-baggery is why a picked up a Galaxy S3 instead of another HTC phone. JB is out, and HTC is struggling just to deliver ICS. It doesn't say much about the future proofing of HTC phones when Samsung slaps an extra 1GB of ram into the S3 "just in case JB needs it".

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
HTC is losing competitive edges....they can't stand out from the crowd....Camera? Lose to Nokia. Design? Lose to Samsung.

Why should i buy a HTC in the first place? HTC Sense was great, used to be their advantage, but now, Samsung has caught up with TouchWiz and nothing really differs from one Android to another (or WP8 phones) except the hardware. They have been touting their One X camera...but it didn't turn out that hot...Nokia still miles ahead....if i buy a WP8 phone, it'll be Nokia...if i buy Android...Samsung.

doive1231

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
Been looking at all these phones and HTC are some of the most expensive. Cheaper and just as capable competition may be the reason.

Vatharian

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
I own HTC phones back from the times when Windows Mobile 5.0 was absolute revelation. I always sticked to them and I always was happy - so am I now, with HTC Sensation. I've got Samsung Galaxy S2 as company phone and even in this comparison - HTC wins. However there are few things that throw me back. Resignation from MicroSDHC port, no active USB OTG support (which is, frankly one of the most useful feature for power-user), huge problems with extended battery availability (I suppose it's because Chinese manufacturers focus only on accessories for most popular devices), ICS update due in March. Camera was always crap in HTC (Sensation is my first phone with acceptable one), no flash, poor signal reception, and many other things. But I love this brand, I love HTC Sense, and my next phone will be HTC. If there will be any HTC phone, that is.

This is NOT the same HTC that put out Nexus One. That phone had everything: big removable battery, SD expandable memory, top-notch screen and CPU...
It was THE phone other manufacturers were trying to catch up with 1 year later.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
in a crowded competitive market, being "quietly brilliant" does not help. Your products have to scream out loud at the customers so they will notice them. Of course your products should have what it takes to attract customers, otherwise your noisy screams will dismissed as cyring wolf by a lunatic.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I am almost exclusively a mid-range phone buyer, as I don't do contract service. I actually bought an HTC One V, but never opened it. It was $150 with ICS vanilla and great reviews. But it didn't quite have all the features I wanted, and was worried by the single core processor. I returned it, and again went to an LG phone, the Motion 4G, for $150 also. Man, what a great choice. It has just about every feature I want and need. I don't really understand why it is considered a mid-tier phone when it performes better than some lower-upper tier phones like the Evo and the Atrix 2. The only thing less potent about this phone is its smaller size, which in my case, I prefer.

To be honest, I think LG makes the most balanced mid-tier phones around. The Optimus V (in all its flavors) were solid, and cost reasonable amounts when released. Their dumb/feature phones were always reliable and intuitive.

And Samsung... Man, they make great tier 1 phones, but anything less, ANYTHING, any mid-to-low grade Samsung phone, including their feature/dumb phones are all TRASH. Their dumb phones are hard to use, slow and have bad battery life. LG phones run circles around their low to mid end Samsung Android phones. Samsung never updates their non-flagship phones either. LG was sending me updates to my Optimus V for a long time. I just got an update on my LG Motion 4G last night!

Except for the GSIII, I can NEVER recomend Samsung. They don't make even decent phones other than their top tier offerings.

LG is always my go to brand. HTC would be close if their prices were a little lower.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Could never get the update on my HTC Droid Incredible to work, and a lot of people have this problem and I refuse to wipe the phone in an attempt to update it. Tried everything else though, I am not happy with their solutions and with how long it too for them to do updates.

G

Do you sense a pattern here? HTC rolled out the Thunderbolt which was full of bugs and had terrible battery life. Now, they won't stand behind their product by updating the OS and keep pushing it off for months at a time. I'm up for an upgrade in two weeks and guess what? It WON'T be a HTC phone.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]pacioli[/nom]I have always been satisfied with my HTC Evo 4G.[/citation]
My brother-in-law has a Sprint Evo 4g (1st generation). He loves it.
I almost got a Virgin Mobile Evo V with ICS, but the reviews were plagued by a problem with the 4G radio that prevented text messages... What good is a plan that focuses on unlimited data and unlimited texting where the text messages fail to be properly sent? I consider that a big problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.