HTC Now Selling Vive Replacement Electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
Any world on retail availability, or what shipping restrictions are placed on the parts if ordered from their store.

I tried to buy a second Vive for replacement parts because their awful support department is a tremendous waste of time, and they failed to deliver it because they restricted it to deliveries to my home during work hours and did not allow someone else to sign, or package redirection.

The Vive is great, but HTC is a dysfunctional company.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
If HTC is setting the price of one controller at $129.99, it’s hard to imagine Oculus will be able to launch Touch for less than $200.

Touch controllers are just simple controllers with some dots on them to allow camera-tracking, so I wouldn't try to estimate their price based on a completely different product.

The cost of Touch is going to be driven by the cost of their cameras, and you really need four of them for room-scale, not just the 2nd camera that they ship with Touch. Oculus does now support 4 cameras, so I think they can catch up with the Vive, but users are going to have a bad time if they go with the recommended 2-camera configuration.

Zapin

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
While the touch controllers are more basic as mentioned in an earlier post they come with another camera which is more complicated than a Vive base station so the cost of the controllers plus camera could very well be comparable to that of the Vive controllers. That being said, the price point is completely up to Oculus. It is unlikely that the Rift will not have a version that is bundled with the controllers for a price a bit less than the current HTC offering and after all the bungling they did already this year I doubt they would dare rip off their customers too much to get the Touch controllers when they are available.

The Rift is currently an incomplete VR system due to the lack of proper controllers. It is in Oculus' best interest to get the controllers to as many people as they can once they are available so that developers have an incentive to put support in any title that would benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.