HTC One (M8) And One (E8) Review: A Flagship And Its Sidekick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heironious

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
The pricing says 1,309.00 for it on Amazon? May as well buy it straight from an authorized dealer for half that. It's a gorgeous phone and I don't regret picking it up over the Samsung S5 (mostly because of the cheap plastic of Samsung).

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Just stop comparing to the iPhone 5s until a comparable 64-bit chip is released and implemented into Android phones. Until then, the iPhone 5s "appears to be faster" (only on benchmarks) but as many of us know, it justifies buying an iPhone for most users, even though a 64-bit processor in a mobile phone may be pointless (for now).

If I were the android type I would get this phone hands-down. If they released a WP version then I would jump all over it over the stuff Nokia has been pushing out in 2014 so far.

The only 'complaints' that I have are the lack of wireless charging (impossible due to the metal back plate right?), and the lack of a sort of Nokia Glance screen (though other android devices are picking up similar features). The cover seems to bring that Glance functionality... but I really don't like that cover and would rather not. The thing is that with my lowly 920 I have built myself an upright wireless charging stand, and with glance screen enabled whenever the device has access to power, it makes a most excellent clock/notification center. With my 920 approaching 2 years old I am starting to look for a replacement, and as of the moment I am not finding one. WP has seemingly abandoned the high end devices, I am not apple compatible, and Android devices have a lot of really neat features... but then you deal with non-standard UIs and gimmickey software. I really hope something really good comes out before Christmas because the 920 is not getting any younger.

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
Holy!! $1300 for a phone.... I am too cheap for that...

I am currently using Nexus 5 and happy with it. If I want to buy a phone now, I may want to get an Oneplus One.

Great phone but that camera is what holds me back from buying it. So Samsung or Google gets my money, although Apple has the best camera. (However, no Apple..screen wayyy to small...Android flagship phones have been over 4" for 2+ years)

TeKEffect

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Me and my friend are both having problems with the usb port. They went cheap on the cheapest part. I would google the problem before getting the one.

Merry_Blind

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
The E8 looks like a great phone for a great price! Can't wait to see the next Nexus phone though. The 5 was definitely best price to performance ratio. If I ever upgrade to a proper smartphone, it will probably be a Nexus, unless they somehow become garbage.

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
I love my One M8. I've had iPhones and Samsungs before. It's hard to explain why this phone is so enjoyable, it really is more than the sum of its parts. Slick UI even better than stock Android, insanely quick in day to day tasks, design features that genuinely make the phone easier to use like tap-to-wake, beautiful audio quality that can even drive my 600ohm(!) headphones to respectable volumes... I actually was planning on getting a Samsung G5 but with the lack of 32gb went with the HTC instead. I had no idea the HTC One was so awesome when I bought it, but glad I did. Next time around I will be looking at HTC first thing.

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
oh yeah forgot to say that the futuremark benchmarks are invalid as HTC cheated on those for specifically optimizing for them

Not to make excuses for HTC, but the "high performance CPU mode" that becomes unlocked on those tests was made a public feature to downplay the fact that they cheated. So now you can goto Developer Options and enable it yourself 24/7 (with added battery drain). As an overclocker, I find it a cute novelty, but not much more. It's a tangible user benefit to the cheating, though not an excuse for such tactics in benchmarks.

doogansquest

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Apple's GPU scores aren't exactly accurate. I mean, they have to produce less information in their much lower resolution screens.

Got to give it to them on their web browsing experience though. They've always been pretty good there. Still the most over-priced-per-performance piece of marketing-to-the-sheep garbage out there.

Woo Hoo! Confirmed yesterday that the HTC One (M8) is going to have a WP version! Sadly it will be tied to VZW, but perhaps there will be an international version that would play nice on ATT or T-Mo network? Still, this looks to be a much better offering than the Lumia 930, cant wait to see a release date and if they are going to mess with the hardware or housing for the WP variant.

Status
Not open for further replies.