HTC One (M8) vs. Samsung Galaxy S5

Status
Not open for further replies.

qlum

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
If the s5 indeed does have a replaceable battery it would put it quite a bit ahead of htc there. I can't tell you enough how useful it is to have a spare when you forget to charge your phone.

If the s5 indeed does have a replaceable battery it would put it quite a bit ahead of htc there. I can't tell you enough how useful it is to have a spare when you forget to charge your phone.
I wouldn't be surprised if the S5 came with a replaceable battery as it was a pretty popular feature of the past galaxy S phones. That aside, I think the usefulness of the feature varies greatly from person to person. for someone like me who mostly have a desk-job in front of a computer, battery only becomes an issue on the weekends when I feel like going out...

schultzter

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013

No, it's true, the North American telcos demanded it. Oh, and data caps are going down and prices are going up - purely a coincidence though. :)

Obviously, the best phone is... the one that fits your needs. You can't go wrong with either of these phones, and future benchmarks will only be for completely useless bragging rights. And yes, of course HTC One has WiFi. Silly...

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
The camera focus features are really cool as is the speakers output.__What'sup with the sealed battery?__The S5 has a bigger battery and AMOLED display so will that result in longer play time?

Phillip

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004

Other than clarifying which model you're talking about, nobody will call this phone the "One M8." Nobody calls it the original model the "One M7." :)

rhangman

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
Other than clarifying which model you're talking about, nobody will call this phone the "One M8." Nobody calls it the original model the "One M7." :)
The original model didn't need any clarification. It was just the HTC One. With a new model, people will have to distinguish between the two somehow.

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
On the other hand, the HTC One has that beefed up camera

Just to be clear, I prefer HTC One's camera design and Jane, I enjoy reading most of your articles, but this is downright misleading.

I mean, "that beefed up camera"? Is that pretty much everything you can say about each camera design and their corresponding strengths and weaknesses?

I realize the fact that it's supposed to be a short article but this is a comparison, not a showcase.
If you have word limit or don't have the time to do a proper research, you could at the very least point out that they're both some of the best cameras in the smartphone market, although HTC is taking the more creative approach.

jonnyhuk2

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
Does the HTC have an FM Radio like the M7 does but the Samsung doesn't? I still use FM quite a bit on my phone, if I'm out in the garden or cycling, WiFi doesn't reach and you can't rely on a mobile data signal around here.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Its sad that they left that thick bezel at the bottom of the phone just for their HTC logo. If the home and back buttons are now onscreen they had no reason to keep that bezel. Also how about you guys tell us how much of that 16GB/32GB is allocated for app installs? I have a 8GB OneVX but somehow I only have 4GB allocated for app installs, and 4GB for media, but since I store all my media on a 32GB MicroSD card I end up with 3GB of wasted space that I will never use.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

Not exactly. That creative approach is causing them to be quite a ways behind the competition, except perhaps Apple. With Sony and Samsung cramming 16-20 MP shooters in their units, a 4 ultrapixel design just isn't going to fly. The Verge pointed this out in a very good review where the camera was listed as the phone's only major drawback.

Also, that black bezel with the HTC logo at the bottom looks terribly out of place. Should have kept the capacitive buttons if they were going to ruin any space savings by putting that there. Really wanted this to be the perfect phone, but it came out rather meh.

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
And I'll stick with my LG G2 with many innovative features, not to mention a battery life that lasts as long as the "max" derivatives of all the other guys but with a slim size.

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Not exactly. That creative approach is causing them to be quite a ways behind the competition, except perhaps Apple. With Sony and Samsung cramming 16-20 MP shooters in their units, a 4 ultrapixel design just isn't going to fly. The Verge pointed this out in a very good review where the camera was listed as the phone's only major drawback. Also, that black bezel with the HTC logo at the bottom looks terribly out of place. Should have kept the capacitive buttons if they were going to ruin any space savings by putting that there. Really wanted this to be the perfect phone, but it came out rather meh.
You've just reinforced my statement. The choice of words in the camera section in this article suggests that the HTC One dominates in the camera department, which is false.

Status
Not open for further replies.