HTC One M9 Available Tonight, Latest Flagship Goes Toe-To-Toe With Samsung

Status
Not open for further replies.

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
Who cares if it's a 1080p or some higher res, its a 5" phone ffs. It makes no difference what so ever. I would like the more efficient technology in 1080p phone for really good battery life. I watch movies on a 105" projector screen in 1080p and it looks amazing. My main concern is reducing the speaker size. That’s the main selling point for me was clear and decently loud speakers. Ever since I dropped my M8 into a spa and purchased a Z3 compact as a replacement I have been hating life. You can't hear the speakers if someone is whispering 10 metres away. I used to run audio books on the M8 while mowing the lawn, in the shower, where ever and I could always hear it.

It's a fine phone otherwise, the biggest question is how good is it's new camera, and most reviews have been mixed so far... Gonna have to wait it out and see some user reviews I guess

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Who cares if it's a 1080p or some higher res, its a 5" phone ffs. It makes no difference what so ever. I would like the more efficient technology in 1080p phone for really good battery life. I watch movies on a 105" projector screen in 1080p and it looks amazing. My main concern is reducing the speaker size. That’s the main selling point for me was clear and decently loud speakers. Ever since I dropped my M8 into a spa and purchased a Z3 compact as a replacement I have been hating life. You can't hear the speakers if someone is whispering 10 metres away. I used to run audio books on the M8 while mowing the lawn, in the shower, where ever and I could always hear it.
Beyond 720P for a 5" screen it's just a marketing pissing contest about how big a magnifier you'll need before you start seeing pixels.

Nonsense.

I agree. And a battery killer. Regarding the Z3 speakers: I have that phone too and its battery life -with it's standard slim battery- has no compare. If I need "great" sound I'll plug in a Sony noise cancelling set of ear buds.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
My LG G3 has the quad HD display but it's hard to see the difference because all the videos are 1080p and websites don't look any different. I say 1080p is fine.

ammaross

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Who cares if it's a 1080p or some higher res, its a 5" phone ffs. It makes no difference what so ever.... I watch movies on a 105" projector screen in 1080p and it looks amazing.
Why would we need anything better than 1080p then! For those of us who CAN notice a difference and CAN discern 1080p pixels, even on a 5" phone, it DOES make a lot of difference. I'd love to have the M9 if it had a higher res screen. I will likely be getting it notwithstanding a 1080p screen, but it does make it a harder sale for sure. :( I do hope the 20MP camera reviews well though.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
This is what I would have liked to see in the Nexus phone line. Incremental updates, hopefully in the right places. Instead every other manufacturer seems to go with a "radical" new design every generation. Manufacturers are trying to outspec or "outwow" each other. This sounds like a great phone, now to find $650 in change lying around the house.

eltoro

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Compared to Samsung's whole new device effort, HTC's new model seems to be a non exciting M8 component update.
Samsung has invested a lot more of the development of the S6, and the result seems to be a lot more promising than the M9. I'm even willing to forgive them for the lack of MicroSD slot and non removable battery, as in all the other categories these is a substantial improvement.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
yes thank you. the more people say 1080p is perfectly fine, the less pissing contests they will do im sure.

or maybe not. i really do not need a 4k display on a 5" screen.

g-unit1111

Titan
As a current HTC owner the specs on this model look a lot more interesting now that I've seen it. Resolution for one thing isn't really key as others have pointed out - how far do you need to go on a 5" screen?. But removable storage is - and that's one area where Samsung let users down by removing that altogether. But as I've said before how lousy HTC cameras are, I'd be curious to know whether or not they've improved overall with this update.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Looking forward to the Mini version. Hopefully they will keep all the good specs like up to 128GB microSD card and at least 16GB.

My last 2 phones were HTC and I was going to upgrade to the M8 Mini but it just didn't work out. Still rocking my One VX though!!

PaulBags

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
Now that there are no capacitive buttons the logo is 100% pointless and pulls the screen off centre. 1080p is fine, but screens draw so much power they could have gone more efficent. As for lollipop, nope, I still want xposed (or a better, more complete and more customisable/controlable os, not that one exists).

I see nothing here to make this better than even the m7.

kmoffat

Reputable
Feb 25, 2015
I'm a Motorola fan, having had 3 Droid's, and am leaning toward the Droid Turbo (Verizon) since the battery life is pretty excellent. Any thoughts here?

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
I was really happy with the M.8. battery life. 1.5-2 days out of a charge was plenty. Though saying that the Z3 Compact get 4 days normally but it's no where near as good of a phone aside from being water proof.

Jim Owens

Reputable
Apr 12, 2015
I have the new M9 phone. The speakers suck, sort of. They sound decent at all volume levels, the problem is, they just arent very loud at all. The dolby helps with imaging, but there is so much compression on the sound, I find myself just turning it off most of the time. I almost prefer the speaker on my Galaxy S3, at least it was loud enough to hear. One thing I do like, it is FAST. It is noticeably faster than my GS3. Games work much better on it. It does produce some heat as noted by others, but it doesnt get out of hand like on the GS3, which would get so hot after 5 mins of game play you had to let it cool down or it would turn off. The M9 gets warm, and keeps on chugging thru my game without any issues. I love the fact I can add more memory. thats really the main reason I got it over the GS6. That and I drop my phone alot, and I am concerned about the glass back on the GS6. I have a case for my M9 and I like it. The image quality is fantastic on the phone. Video is remarkably better than my old GS3. Overall I am very please with the new M9. I just wish the speakers were better.

Status
Not open for further replies.