HTC One S Officially Outdated, No Longer Getting Updated

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayushde

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2013
HTC is trying to boost up sales for upcoming products by making the consumer buy a new device. To me it looks like a dirty tactic which was once known only to companies like Microsoft. But now every second company does so...

rb420

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
I own this phone. I am not to upset. It works very with current version of android. Plus I've rooted and usually run an ASOP 4.2.2 rom.

That being said, I bought this phone used, for $150 when it was still retailing for 350 here in canada. Had I paid full price or been locked into a 3 year contract for a phone that got less than 18 months of updates/support, I'd be a bit upset.

I got the One s after a good experience with the desire HD. But from this point forward, I will only be buying Nexus devices brand new.

Dumi Dumison

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013
Wasn't there a "at least 1.5 years updates" discussion with Google at some point?

@ann12kelly
I totally believed your post until I read "Fiat Multipla"

audiophillia

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
I don't get the big deal. I am running an iphone 4 with 4.1 iOS with no problems. Is the HTC One S software/firmware broken or something that requires a new update to fix it?

djfv

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Some may be ok with this, but I am not. This just proves that they don't care about their customers.
Unlike iOS which had only modest changes to their OS (until recently) every new android version was a great step forward, and I love all new features.
High-end manufacturers (HTC is trying to be one) should stand behind their product for more than 1 year.

dpl_15

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013
These are the kind of things that makes me think of jumping from Android to iOS... if my next phone will be Android based, i'll go for a Nexus. Never buying a smartphone from a manufacturer again. Tired of this.

phochai

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
I have a HTC One S and while it would be nice to have the latest and safest, I'm not too bothered. However I find HTC phone owners more tech savvy than say Samsung owners so this is only going to turn away more people.
I just like the quality build so will probably buy another HTC sometime in the future.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
and have in their collection the One X, One XL, One S, One V and One,

You forgot the One VX, which was released in December. I currently have it and I love it on ICS although I wished it came with JellyBean. But from my experiences with HTC (I previously had the HTC Aria for 3 years before I upgraded to the One VX) most of their phones only get 1 OS upgrade before they make them obsolete, and the update comes at around 1 year after the device release.

I got my One VX from Att directly for $130 w/ 2 year contract and no data plan. I could have paid $50 if I gotten a data plan. Im happy with what I paid and the device I just hope they don't put the VX on the chopping block so soon.

dpl_15

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013
These are the kind of things that makes me think of jumping from Android to iOS... if my next phone will be Android based, i'll go for a Nexus. Never buying a smartphone from a manufacturer again. Tired of this.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
It is worse on iOS

I have an iPod stuck on 4.1 and a iPhone 4S. (BTW I paid money for an OS update to use the blue tooth that was on that device but not initially supported)

Whenever the iPhone 4 does an update, it obsoletes apps on the iPod when they are updated to require more than OS ver 4.1.

That is hella-lame

Phil Williamson

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013
Big whoop. I installed 4.2.2 on mine all by myself...and with the help of some smart XDA folks.

It's not the end of the world if the One S gets dropped.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
I still have an EVO 4G, I don't use it as my phone, but I still use it as a mini tablet for FM Radio, Music, Videos, Games and WIFI internet. I'll keep using it till I can't find batteries. It has a nice bright screen which still looks great. It's light and fits in your pocket. When I 'retire' my Galaxy S (running Team Acid ROM) I'll convert it to a mini tab too. I always try to carry an external battery PS to extend the fun

and this is why if you are looking for an android phone always go with a nexus (although the Google editions of phone like the S4 and HTC one might be the same now)i have the Samsung nexus S and support just ended for it in February. i had froyo up to 1 or 2 versions of jellybean.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

THe problem with HTC is that they make too many phones per year for individual carrier. Verizon is the only "smart" carrier that do not let HTC flood them with phones of different phones every year. ATT is the worst!!

ATT have the One, One X, One X+ and One Vx. That's 4 phones in that naming line all within close release dates. All it does is confuse the buyer.

And the whole removing removable storage from the flagship phone lines is why most do not go for their flagship models.

hwdd6873

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

OK, I forgot a" not" between "should" and "design"

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
I like my HTC One S, but I've hated the updates.

After waiting an absurd amount of time for Jelly Bean, it released with an obvious bug in Google Navigation, crashing when it enters 3D mode. Really? They had an update come out months and months late, only to CRASH Google NAV when it finally releases?! Then months and months without an update to fix it. So, I gave up and installed some 3rd party navigation software as a band-aid.

And now, we have this piece of news... I hope HTC is happy. I was a relatively happy owner of one of their devices, and now my next phone will be made by Samsung.

QinaNP

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
This is highly unfortunate. HTC claims they've made a better phone but the HTC One is bigger, the camera and music quality has decreased. I love my small HTC One S as well as the great camera and music features!!! "Better" my a**!!

Status
Not open for further replies.