HTC One Variant with Windows Phone 8 OS Appears

Status
Not open for further replies.

csbeer

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Once bitten, twice shy HTC. I paid mucho $ for a HD7s (when it first hit the AT&T store) hoping that the windows platform would provide a lasting support environment. But alas, there goes HTC dropping support in a year and not providing the 7.8 update. And from what I've read, this is a common behavior experienced by other HTC customers on the Android platform. I just can't fathom how HTC can build brand loyalty by implementing planned obsolesce and hope their customers will buy their next generation phone. Whatever is the opposite of brand loyalty is how I currently feel about HTC.

yupkim

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Should Samsung then brand their to 4+8=12? Don't give them any ideas to inflate the brand in such cheap ways to confuse consumers, please. Most if not all marketers look for any excuses to inflate already. At least THW would merit the technologies and functions on merits, I hope.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
csbeer I also have the HD7, personally, I don't mind that its not getting the 7.8 update and plan to upgrade to the next HTC Win Phone device. The main difference is I use T-Mobile. I got my HD7 for free =)

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
The most interesting part of this article is that this HTC One will retain it's quad core processor which, as stated will need the WP8.1 update. So if we get a release date for this then we will have some idea of when WP8.1 will be coming. Along with WP8.1 there will be a whole new batch of devices as the rumours suggest that many of the manufacturers have been holding back multi devices for WP until they could support similar device specs as found on the Android platform. With WP8.1, I think the WP platform really does become a serious player.

P.S. I too am eagerly awaiting the launch of the Nokia Lumia 1020. However, with it's launch coming on the 11th of July I am worried that it will be launched pre WP8.1, something that will massively damage it's overall and future appeal.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Yea I bought the HTC one metal body phone and I was hoping the camera was as good as advertised. It is good for a camera phone but still camera phone quality and not in league with even a decent point and shoot. To bad but they are getting there. The only good thing is with my gov. discounts the phone came to $17 and I put it on the cheapest plan that is only $45/mo.

robholden

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012

It is the GDR3 update that is due to include QC and 1080P support, not the 8.1 update (which is rumored to be Q1)

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Very true Robholden. However, as the WP8.1 update is due after the GDR3 update my point still stands in that I hope the Nokia Lumia 1020 will launch after the hardware updates.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Had to happen eventually, the Ativ S is basically an SGS3 with WP8, so as market share increases and the platform looks more attractive the handset manufacturers will get behind it. The more exposure it gets the more people see how much better an OS it is, then more customers will buy it, more devs will flock to make Apps. MS has deep pockets and lots of patience, oh ye of little faith.

Similar experience here. Used the Touch Pro2 and even after three MR updates it still had the crappy display drivers with the sleep-of-death bug. Found a stripped down fixed official Verizon ROM and the problem went away. Now I'm on a Trophy ( only Win7 phone on Verizon at the time ) and HTC refuses to release the 7.8 update for it ( though I forced that update too. ) The only good thing I can say about HTC devices is they're easy to crack and unlock.

Looking forward to getting a Lumia 925 next week ( hopefully. )

icebug

Distinguished
May 5, 2009

I feel that this is more related to older verisons of Windows Phone and Verizon. I had an HTC 7PRO on US Cellular and got the 7.8 update in a (fairly) timely manner. I currently have an HTC 8X with Verizon and the update was really really fast compared to what I was expecting. If this phone makes its way to Verizon then I think it should be a pretty solid option, if they keep the updates rolling...

Possible, since Verizon didn't care for Windows Phone 7/7.5 at all. However, consider the number of HTC phones that had such little support after WP7.5. Judging from my history with them across multiple devices, I'm inclined to say it's more on the manufacturer than the carrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.