HTC Permanently Reduces The Vive's Price To $599

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
It's good to see the Vive priced competitively. I'd been recommending the Rift to people on limited budgets, and the Vive for people who can afford the best system available today.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015

They're all playable on the Vive with ReVive. I was a little tempted to get a Rift at the current low price, but I put the money toward a 1080ti instead.

The only downside to the Vive is HTCs terrible support. If something goes wrong with your Vive and you try to get warranty repair, you're going to have a bad time.

It has to be easier getting support for the Rift.

Jay_29

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
I don't think either are worth the money. Both come with way too many cables, especially Vive. Holy crap I had the misfortune of setting up a couple. I wanted to smash the headsets against the wall... You literally get 5 pounds of clutter with your purchase. The headset itself doesn't feel much better than a cheap generic VR helmet.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I'm sitting on the sidelines until the next gen. Hopefully wireless.

But, if I bought now, it'd have to be Vive. Valve has been putting a lot of effort into better Linux support, this year.

zippyzion

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Well, I was completely sold on the Rift at its new low price, but now I'm back in the confusion. As it sits the Vive is now a viable alternative. It will still be a bit before I will be ordering, but provided there isn't a crazy black friday sale that throws things all out of wack, I might end up going Vive now. Man... I really want a VR headset.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
What is this "permanently" business? Nothing is "permanent". They'd be stupid to leave it at $600 "permanently".

And what is this "wireless" business? Do you have any idea what type of bandwidth frequency (in GHz) would be required to stream content to 2x1440p/90fps screens? You really want a router strapped to your head? Something that broadcasts constantly near your cerebellum. Yummm... Tasty cancerous brain.

Status
Not open for further replies.