HTC Vive Consumer Version: First Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
The price of the Rift and Vive are the same as a highend cell phone.

The fact people are complaining about the $600 price point of the Rift is a bad sign. Though I think Oculus took the edge off the surprise-factor for the Vive.

If you look at all the R&D and hardware included here, it's a good deal for what you're getting. The alternative is an iPhone6S Plus. A nice buy, but considering this is roomspace VR, it's a steal.

The chances these will ever drop to less than a high end cell phone or a high end monitor is fantasy.

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
I feel like occulus spent a lot more money on product design R&D with regards to the weight distribution and strapping system...maybe it just appears that way. I can't afford a vive anyways so whatever :D

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

The fact people are complaining about the $600 price point of the Rift is a bad sign. Though I think Oculus took the edge off the surprise-factor for the Vive.

If you look at all the R&D and hardware included here, it's a good deal for what you're getting. The alternative is an iPhone6S Plus. A nice buy, but considering this is roomspace VR, it's a steal.

The chances these will ever drop to less than a high end cell phone or a high end monitor is fantasy.

phones are stupidly overpriced, same as vr, yes some amount can be said for r&d, but how much of the r&d is passed onto me?

ill wait till its out we know the tear down price to judge...

but i say it time and time again, i don't want these high end versions of vr
room vr is going to fail and continue to fail till these are wireless,
i want native 720p per eye, because at 1080 per eye, if i scale it down the image quality looks like hell opposed to native, and i don't care too much about the "screen door" effect, i had vr on my head with it was 320x180/240 i forget which is the 4:3 resolution and i know from first hand experience, what it adds to the game play experience more then makes up for the lower res

not to mention 2 720p would be so much easier to drive to 60/90fps then 2 1080 or higher screens, i mean sure, make the screens higher than 1080p and just watch vr die due to no one having computers able to handle it.

i mean seriously, even take out 3d effect, and just have the head as an input point would make it a buy for me at a lower price just due to racing games

The difference between a high-end phone and VR is that the high end phone replaces their tablet, PC, and phone. I spent $20 on mine because I don't need that. You know I also don't need? All the extras that come with this VR helmet. Why on gods green earth are they including earbuds? Just like Microsoft learned with the kinect, not everyone is going to want everything forced on them.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

the big fear i have right now is everyone is going to see vr the same way as 3d, because of a bunch of low quality 3d conversions, most people see 3d as a gimmick, where as when its actually filmed in 3d it changes the experience entirely.

vr being to expensive, and requiring gods gift to gaming pc's to use... sales could be so low it just turns into a gimmick device when it should be a game changing way to play games for the vast majority of genres.

BlackJakSchelack

Commendable
Feb 23, 2016
Did the entire world just hear about HMD being released. I have been saving and slowly building a system since 2013. No I cannot afford to purchase a HMD until early next year. Need to finish building my computer first. Sony has had a HMD out since 2013. The HMZ-T3W is out in Europe in November for the staggering price of £1,300 $2,035 US and it did not have anywhere near the features of either Oculus or Vive. I personally would like to thank Palmer and the Oculus team for waiting as long as they could. They wanted this out since day one but held back to make it right. Too bad software companies didn't have the same goals. Go ahead purchase HMD's from companies clearly more interested in making money instead of a great product. That always works out in the consumers favour.

BlackJakSchelack

Commendable
Feb 23, 2016
Did the entire world just hear about HMD being released. I have been saving and slowly building a system since 2013. No I cannot afford to purchase a HMD until early next year. Need to finish building my computer first. Took 2.5 years to afford my chair ( Obutto R3volution) and Thrustmaster joysticks/wheel/shifter etc.

Sony has had a HMD ( not the only one ) out since November 2013. The HMZ-T3W £1,300 $2,035 US and it did not have anywhere near the features of either Oculus or Vive. I personally would like to thank Palmer and the Oculus team for waiting as long as they could. They wanted this out since day one but held back to make it right. Too bad software companies didn't have the same goals.

Go ahead purchase HMD's from companies clearly more interested in making money instead of a great product. That always works out in the consumers favour.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/foveated-rendering-eye-tracking-smi,31262.html This article just made my day. I was not going to purchase a HMD without eye tracking. In VR that is equivalent to when I played the original DOOM with just a keyboard. Until I got my ass handed to me from a Dink who used a mouse and keyboard.

In 1996 -7 I took a Forte VFX1 HMD for a test drive in DUKE NUKEM 3D at my local mall. 15 lag-full minutes later I tossed my cookies and yet ever since then I have impatiently waited for proper VR. MECHWARRIOR 2 was begging for it as was Descent ( thank you Descent Underground for ground up support ) along with countless other software companies sticking their necks out to make this happen along with Zuckerberg who has only shown interest in making this happen.

holyneo

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
You think for 800 dollars it would look better. If you painted it yellow, it would look like you are wearing a block of cheese. :)

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010

is it weird that this idea makes me more interested in the vive? I don't always buy $800 hardware, but when I do I spray paint it yellow right out of the box. XD

Joe Black

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
I really wanted to buy an Oculus or a Vive. I've however decided I will support OSVR.

Instead of buying an overpowered, monolithic, proprietary hardware/software headset that I have to sell my kidneys for and might be redundant in a few years (no getting that kidney back). I will buy me a Razer OSVR headset for $199 in June.

Then when a better screen for the device comes out I will simply take out the existing screen and plug in the better one. Or better lenses. Or a better chassis.

Because these big boy power plays are bullshit. Modular, opensource VR is the way to go. And with tech like Eye tracking + Foveated Rendering beckoning I dare say the Oculus and Vive recommended PC specs are way out of whack too. So if they missed that already then it does not inspire much confidence that they should be the leading beacons of the industry.

Personal VR is now!

holyneo

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013

Sounds like you got a reasonable plan. What will you do if Razer says 199 now, then come June and its 499? We seen this before, was just curious about your response. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts