Review HTC Vive Focus 3 Review: Standalone VR Done Right

Facebook is heavily subsidizing the Quest 2 in order to get more audience to target advertisement to. There's all there is to it.

I have the Valve Index and it's just unbeatable in quality with the current round of headsets. From what I've read in this article, this is a worthy competitor, but the Index 2 is already under development, as I understand it (I could be totally wrong). Plus it has trackers. It's just overall better, albeit more expensive. And no Facebook ads!

Regards,

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I have the HP Reverb G2 and other than the FOV is the best VR headset I've owned. I had the original HTC Vive and even had the Valve Index for a short time but due to loud whining bases more screendoor than I cared for I returned it. The G2 has the best clarity and sharpness I have experienced yet. I even did the faceplate mod to increase the FOV but it's till not as good as I would have liked. If HP came out with a G2 version with a wide FOV it would be killer.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015
Facebook is heavily subsidizing the Quest 2 in order to get more audience to target advertisement to. There's all there is to it.

I have the Valve Index and it's just unbeatable in quality with the current round of headsets. From what I've read in this article, this is a worthy competitor, but the Index 2 is already under development, as I understand it (I could be totally wrong). Plus it has trackers. It's just overall better, albeit more expensive. And no Facebook ads!

Regards,

The Index is still the best overall package for most gamers. There are headsets with better screens, and headsets with wider field of view, but no headset is better overall yet.
Reverb G2 has great screens, great audio, and poor FoV. Pimax 8K X has amazing FoV, good screens, decent audio. Vive Pro 2 has great screens, not so great lenses, good FoV and decent audio. Index has excellent audio, good FoV, good screens, good lenses.

For most gamers, a wired headset is still going to be the best solution, but a Quest 2 over Air Link is a pretty great experience.
As of this morning, software exist that will allow you to play SteamVR content on the Focus 3, which may give people another reason to consider the Focus 3 for home use.

The Index is still the best overall package for most gamers. There are headsets with better screens, and headsets with wider field of view, but no headset is better overall yet.
Reverb G2 has great screens, great audio, and poor FoV. Pimax 8K X has amazing FoV, good screens, decent audio. Vive Pro 2 has great screens, not so great lenses, good FoV and decent audio. Index has excellent audio, good FoV, good screens, good lenses.

For most gamers, a wired headset is still going to be the best solution, but a Quest 2 over Air Link is a pretty great experience.
As of this morning, software exist that will allow you to play SteamVR content on the Focus 3, which may give people another reason to consider the Focus 3 for home use.
That's the thing... Other than the Pimax 8K, I've tested all the others, but the most comfortable, better overall experience was the Index by far for me. Specially since I wear glasses and they are not instrusive in the Index at all. The others had one quirk or another with my glasses which was a big turn off. And, while totally subjective, the speakers on the Index are just better. Plus the mic is really good. And the forward facing cameras are really helpful at times when you don't want to take off the headset.

And, as I said before, HTC and Valve use the same tracker technology, so that's a HUGE plus for them. The trackers make the whole experience a bazillion miles better than anything else in the market.

Regards.

comedichistorian

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
I have the HP Reverb G2 and other than the FOV is the best VR headset I've owned. I had the original HTC Vive and even had the Valve Index for a short time but due to loud whining bases more screendoor than I cared for I returned it. The G2 has the best clarity and sharpness I have experienced yet. I even did the faceplate mod to increase the FOV but it's till not as good as I would have liked. If HP came out with a G2 version with a wide FOV it would be killer.
The Reverb really felt like an upgrade after the Index? Ive been wanting to make that leap but I’ve been hesitant cause I’m cheap and lazy lol. But yeah, the Index physically felt like an upgrade - easier to take on and off, built in headset etc but, coming from modded fresnel-less Vive, I only saw a mild upgrade in image quality and that was disappointing. I also don’t play a lot of games that require VR controllers on my PC-tethered headset. Those I play on the Quest 2.

Anyway lol, so you definitely noticed a sizable difference in sharpness going from an Index to a reverb huh?

Jun 29, 2021

Regards,
Vive Pro 2 is the new consumer king

Jun 29, 2021

how can you crown the index's lenses and then say vp2 doesnt have great lenses?? those two headsets are the gods of godrays! Index has been beaten but its 1 hmd release vs 4 so valve will retake #1 spot whenever they decide to drop something but the index is still selling well