Question HTC Vive new HDMI cable but black screen?

aryan826

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2015
so my 3 in 1 cable HDMI pooped out so i got a replacement HDMI cable but now the screen is black, I have looked into it quite a bit, and read something about forcing 'direct mode' the instructions on how to do so, in typically steam fashion, no longer works as the setting have been moved or deleted in the new UI update it seems.
any one changed cables and had to fix this?
this is the cable i got, with any luck worst case its just not compatible and i can replace it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KM23K5I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

aryan826

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2015
Thed link gets redirected to a steam communiy website that has malware.

What is a 3in1 hdmi cable?

Did you get a replacement from hive?
Sry what do you mean gets redirected?
And so the 3in 1 vive cable is a cae that comes with the headset and plugs into it. It ha s an HDMI, usb and power cables just wrapped together, but becuase the HDMI got damaged it seems o have to replace the whole cable. I tried leaving the usb qnd power plugged in and just adding q hdmi cable but thats when inget black screen.

aryan826

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2015
Not an exact copy no i dont think. But dose look like ot was made specifically for the vive but by a 3rd part or something. I have never seen a male to male 3 in 1 hdmi use qnd power cable used for anything other than a vive soooo

aryan826

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2015
Not really, don't know anyone else with a vive. What would that do anyway other than confirm that it is in fact the cable 5hat is the problem. Which i am already 95% sure it is.

aryan826

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2015
9h sry got lost between 2 threads. The hdmi cable i mentioned here that game a black screen was just a generic one o found. I have since ordered the special 3rd party looking vive one. It should arrive tomorrow and i will test it. If it doesn't work i will return and maybe look at getting an official one. Or maybe just getting a valve index instead.

TRENDING THREADS