HTC Vive Pre-Orders Live: 'Tilt Brush' Included, International Pricing Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddybody

Distinguished
Sorry to gripe, but the shipping charges are bogus. I get that it's new tech...but in the scope of the cost, HTC/Valve shouldn't add (up to)10% to the entire platform.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Yeah, no way I'm going to put 1k on a first gen product, that is very likely to be obsolete in 4 years. I'm not that rich. That said, it's great that there are people able and willing to pay that so the tech gets further funding.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Expecting a VR headset with roomspace support to ever be cheaper than a high-end single LCD like a ROG[0], then you'll be waiting a long time. At least until high end LCDs are driven lower. And that's not even a 4K panel.

There's amazing value in that $800 package and this is essentially 3rd gen in my book. Oculus Rift would be closer to 2nd gen and the 90s headsets were the 1st gen.

As well as the price never dropping to something like $199 or $399 (without an inferior experience)- if you're old enough to have owned a 3dfx Voodoo card in 1996, you'll know there will never be anything quite like the "1st gen" experience ever again. The magic isn't quite the same down the road. Even for people who are having THEIR first experience later on- because everyone else around them has done it.

I'm sympathetic to the younger kids who can't or others who don't want to spend $800 on this, but I think this is one case where it's worth going in.

[0]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236405&cm_re=asus_rog_lcd-_-24-236-405-_-Product

overgrower

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
Well I might have to buy the vive now. I returned to the USA and cant change my shipping information for the OR :( 740 euro is about the same as the vive in the USA.

l33tforza

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015
Expecting a VR headset with roomspace support to ever be cheaper than a high-end single LCD like a ROG[0], then you'll be waiting a long time. At least until high end LCDs are driven lower.

There's amazing value in that $800 package and this is essentially 3rd gen in my book. Oculus Rift would be closer to 2nd gen and the 90s headsets were the 1st gen.

As well as the price never dropping to something like $199 or $399 (without an inferior experience)- if you're old enough to have owned a 3dfx Voodoo card in 1996, you'll know there will never be anything quite like the "1st gen" experience ever again. The magic isn't quite the same down the road. Even for people who are having THEIR first experience later on- because everyone else around them has done it.

I'm sympathetic to the younger kids who can't or others who don't want to spend $800 on this, but I think this is one case where it's worth going in.

[0]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236405&cm_re=asus_rog_lcd-_-24-236-405-_-Product

Ahh "3dfx Voodoo in 1996" ...i great time in online gaming history. The Quake community was flourishing.... Action Quake 2 FTW ;)

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
You know how this goes. Production won't be able to keep up with initial demand, so buy, try it, ebay it an double your money. Then buy the fixed one for a couple hundred cheap in 6 months or so.

Realist9

Reputable
May 31, 2014
... if you're old enough to have owned a 3dfx Voodoo card in 1996, you'll know there will never be anything quite like the "1st gen" experience ever again. The magic isn't quite the same down the road...
I remember Jedi Knight Dark Forces II on my PC. I went from the stock video card to the 3dfx voodoo. Once I updated the video drivers, the difference was nothing short of amazing. I will never forget that feeling.

The Vive is going to need a real AAA game for me to go for it. It would be Elite Dangerous, but I've read that Vive performance on ED is not really ready yet.

We shall see.

Status
Not open for further replies.