HTC Vive - Roomscale Height

Status
Not open for further replies.

dead_mentor

Reputable
Aug 18, 2015
Hello, today im gonna mount my HTC Vive on the wall, and i saw a video of the setup saying that is recommended for a height of 2m, is that height enough or should i put a little more higher ?
Im not tall, so 2m would be fine for my height, any help or tips about the height please?

Thanks in advance

Solution
Your limitation for height will be the power chord.
"ust want to let everyone know the Lighthouse power cable length is 8 feet long or 2.5 meters."
Source: https://steamcommunity.com/app/358040/discussions/0/365163686048992255/

In the general stance of HTC, higher is better. you will get better tracking.
In the extreme example of "Well, let me go up 10 meters!" is that the higher you go, the smaller effective max room-scale space you will have. what the numbers are on this, I don't know. (and not sure it matters in this case.)

But back to the practical notes...

Fact is, the reason for the height is for the light houses to see all possible parts of the user. SO, raise your hands above you're head, and jump. This is the height that...
You mean the base stations?

Well, they still need to be able to track your hands if you reach above head height. But with the wide FOV of the base stations, 2m might be okay since you're not tall. Especially if you mount the base stations a little extra distance outside the area you intend to play in.

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016
Your limitation for height will be the power chord.
"ust want to let everyone know the Lighthouse power cable length is 8 feet long or 2.5 meters."
Source: https://steamcommunity.com/app/358040/discussions/0/365163686048992255/

In the general stance of HTC, higher is better. you will get better tracking.
In the extreme example of "Well, let me go up 10 meters!" is that the higher you go, the smaller effective max room-scale space you will have. what the numbers are on this, I don't know. (and not sure it matters in this case.)

But back to the practical notes...

Fact is, the reason for the height is for the light houses to see all possible parts of the user. SO, raise your hands above you're head, and jump. This is the height that the Lighhouse needs to be able to see and track. (if you plan on jumping in VR.. not recommended.)

Can you put it up higher? Yes.
Will there be side effects? As long as you can get power.. maybe, but not enough that you will notice.

My suggestion:
If you have a huge room, test out your max space before setting up. See if you can borrow (2) tripods and setup the room. See how the performance works.

ALSO!!
(key safety!) Make sure you use a stud-finder that has current detection before mounting your light-houses.

::My Setup::
I hope this helps. I have mine at about 8-9 ft with no problem.
The main factor that you'll run into is running out of VIVE cabling before you run out of space.

HAVE FUN!!! :)
(and Rec Room is AWESOME!)

Solution

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016
(and finally.. cause now I am reading the manual)

"Set up each base station securely
Bases should be above head height (ideally over 2m or 6.5 feet), and angled down 30-45 degrees."

which totally answers your question.

dead_mentor

Reputable
Aug 18, 2015

sorry for the delay

Thanks a lot for the help and the tips

In addition to this very informative answer -

You might want to install these lighthouses where studs(also known as a 2x4 or other lumber, behind the drywall or whatever your walls are made of) aren't available. In that case you will need to install anchors like the ones below which will allow install these stations safely and securely without the need for a stud.

ribbed-plastic-anchor-for-drywall-or-plaster-projects-large.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.