HTPC Advice Needed 750-1250 Price Range

pous

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
BUDGET: $750 - $1250

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: July-August

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: HTPC, data storage, some roms/emulation

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor... I'll be using a 37" LCD TV

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: NewEgg.com (no thanks on any other site, I'd rather get everything from 1 vendor)

PARTS PREFERENCES: Eficiency/Performance, brand is secondary.

OVERCLOCKING: No overclock. Please comment on the merits (if any) of underclocking to improve system longevity.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 720p on a 37" LCD (not sure on exact numbers)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Just a few things:
1. I'd like to be able to use an HDMI cable to connect this to my TV
2. Should I get surround sound speakers? and would they connect to the PC or the TV in this case?
3. Will need an OS, Vista 64 sounds nice, as that's what I've been using for the last 6-8 months.

-- I believe that sums it up. As always, I appreciate any help or advice given, and thank you in advance.

drunknmunkys

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
I'm not up to date on HTPC builds per say, but I can get a few things out of the way.

Will you just be streaming content to your TV via Netflix/Hulu tv etc, doing any video editing, that kind of thing? How much processor do you need.

Surround sound speakers would be a great addition, but ones worth buying might take up a substantial chunk of your budget.

For now just use Windows 7 RC for your OS and save yourself 100$ :p

pous

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007

1.) Streaming yes. Editing no. Playing DVD's or DVD files yes. Won't need much of a processor, but it would be nice not to need to upgrade for a while.

2.) I understand the speakers could end up costing more than the budget allows. The budget is more for the HTPC itself than for the
speakers.

3.) I've thought of the Windows 7... we'll see what happens.

Thanks for your reply!