Question HTPC Build help?

Apr 16, 2019
Hi guys,

I'm looking to build a HTPC for my downstairs TV. It is a 4k Samsung 50".
Looking to go as cheap as possible preferably as it will only be used for 1080p/4k video playback and the occasional browser surfing and film downloading.

Mobo: ASRock J4105-ITX - Integrated Intel Celeron J4105.
Case: Silverstone SST-SG13B
RAM: Crucial CT4G4SFS824A 4 GB
PSU: PicoPSU? Or AeroCool Integrator 400W
HDD/SDD, I have a few lying around I will use plus I have plenty of external harddrives that will most likely just stay plugged in.

This stuff together comes to around £200, but just wondering if it's actually capable of what I require.

I have an Xbox already, I just need something that I can browse the internet and download stuff from really whilst being extremely lazy.

OctaBotGamer

Prominent
Apr 30, 2019
Not heard of anything named PicoPsu or aerocool integra... etc, must be local brands... Leave that
So, what's your graphics card? Or what graphics card will you use? I would go with a GT 1030

Apr 16, 2019
Not heard of anything named PicoPsu or aerocool integra... etc, must be local brands... Leave that
So, what's your graphics card? Or what graphics card will you use? I would go with a GT 1030

PicoPSU are basically laptop chargers which go straight into your Mobo, they only do like 200w power but that is I believe way more than enough for that build. Aerocool is just some cheap brand but seems to have good enough ratings as this isn't going to be used daily/ for anything to strenuous.

Haven't decided on a GPU yet, not sure if it's even necessary as this MOBO is able to
  • HW Acceleration Decode: HEVC (H.265) 8 bit, HEVC (H.265)10 bit, H.264 @ Lvl5.2 (AVC), JPEG/MJPEG, VP8, VP9 8bit, VP9 10 bit
  • HW Acceleration Encode: HEVC (H.265) 8 bit, HEVC (H.265)10 bit, H.264 @ Lvl5.2 (AVC), JPEG/MJPEG, VP8, VP9 8bit
Which I believe is similar to the 1030 anyway?

OctaBotGamer

Prominent
Apr 30, 2019
PicoPSU are basically laptop chargers which go straight into your Mobo, they only do like 200w power but that is I believe way more than enough for that build. Aerocool is just some cheap brand but seems to have good enough ratings as this isn't going to be used daily/ for anything to strenuous.

Haven't decided on a GPU yet, not sure if it's even necessary as this MOBO is able to
  • HW Acceleration Decode: HEVC (H.265) 8 bit, HEVC (H.265)10 bit, H.264 @ Lvl5.2 (AVC), JPEG/MJPEG, VP8, VP9 8bit, VP9 10 bit
  • HW Acceleration Encode: HEVC (H.265) 8 bit, HEVC (H.265)10 bit, H.264 @ Lvl5.2 (AVC), JPEG/MJPEG, VP8, VP9 8bit
Which I believe is similar to the 1030 anyway?
Umm yea but that's not the mobo, it's the igpu in the processor, leave that apart, nowadays' igpu's are quite capable of rendering 4k videos so it's ok, but having an external graphics card(that, obviously, supports 4k video output) puts a lot less stress on the cpu allowing smooth video playback... You will still be able to play 4k videos on your system though only through HDMI 2.0, no other output will support 4k

Apr 16, 2019
Umm yea but that's not the mobo, it's the igpu in the processor, leave that apart, nowadays' igpu's are quite capable of rendering 4k videos so it's ok, but having an external graphics card(that, obviously, supports 4k video output) puts a lot less stress on the cpu allowing smooth video playback... You will still be able to play 4k videos on your system though only through HDMI 2.0, no other output will support 4k

Hmm yeah fair enough that makes sense! I'll add it to my list :)

May 3, 2019
Hello Guys,

I would also like to build a HTPC when Ryzen 3000 comes out. 3300G would be the one because of the 65W TDP (I know these are just rumours and not facts). I want to put an overkill cooler to it not to give a lot of noise.
Am I right that if the motherboard handles HDMI 2.0b (like this: https://www.quietpc.com/asus-b450-plus ) than I don't really need a dedicated GPU?

Thank you in advance

Apr 16, 2019

Ok so, i've gone and purchased everything here and the 1030 doesn't fit my boards PCIe slot. Got any other recommendations on another GPU I could use?

Mobo -
  • 1 PCIe 2.0 x1, 1 M.2 (Key E)
Or, would this work?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-Express-Profile-Extension-Adapter/dp/B0039XPS5W

Last edited: