HTPC Build - iR Receiver

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Debating between simply swapping my current PC guts to a new system, which won't support the internal iR receiver because no power to the USB ports when powered off, or building something new.

Question I have is, the FLIRC STREACOM, or if another brand I'm open to that... I wanted to install into a case like the Cooler Master Elite 110 that has a mesh front. What I'm curious about is, whenever you get iR receivers, they always seem to have that dark red plastic front. The official Streacom cases have a small red plastic window the flirc sits behind, currently I have an HP iR receiver that has a red plastic front as well.

What is the purpose of the red plastic? is it necessary? Also, if I cut a bit of the air filter mesh out from inside the front bezel, would the iR be visible enough for the remote to work?

The red plastic is a light filter to help it see IR. It is also a protectant to keep people from smudging or damaging the IR reciever.

That FLIRC chip looks like it is special designed for the case for mounitng. You could legitmitally use ANY usb ir adapter (like your HP one) and get a usb a to usb header cable to attach it. That flirc chip will in no way help you if your current board does not support S4/S5 sleep state to be repowered from USB.

You might check into asrock or other motherboard that has built in infrared. Then you just attach an IR reciever from say radio shack agiasnt the mesh (maybe drill out a small hole) and be good.

The truley best solution to this problem is to ditch IR all together for IP bassed control.
I am assuming this is for a media player. Whether you running linux or win 10 there is support for controlling via IP and using wake on lan to power it back on.

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
The Flirc one attaches to the USB header on the motherboard for power, but also plugs into the power switch. You then program the card to recognize 1 button on your remote, so you can power on/off the system with your TV remote.

I'll be running Windows (because I tried Linux/Ubuntu and not knowing the system very well, could never get the remote working properly) and running KODI for the media software.

Currently it's Windows and EventGhost which interprets the signal for KODI. Had a few people in the KODI forum say I don't need EventGhost and can work direct with KODI, but usually when I ask how, the thread dies. With my Sony remote, I've found no other way that works as easily as EventGhost.

How would the wake from LAN work? I'm assuming not with an iR based TV remote...?

I have debated dismantling the HP receiver as well, or just putting it in as-is with a USB to 4pin adapter and keep all the cables inside. But the power on option is very appealing.

Have you tried HDMI-CEC? It works reasonibly well and can resume from sleep when it gets HDMI signal

Another option would be to use the keymap editor in the Kodi addon repository. This allows your HTPC to recieve any remote's hex IR command and map it to a specefic command.
You will still have to get your motherbaord to allow s4/s5 sleep state to use any sort of usb receiver

What i did to "cheat" wake on lan for a while was to have the router run a ping, if smart TV the Kodi was on responds to ping, WOL signal to Kodi.

You can also use the YATSE remote app (for android) and send WOL to kodi as well as full control of it that way.

If you are truley wanting a 1 remote solution I would suggest looking into a logitech harmony solution, either IR only or IR + IP. Having activety bassed control is so nice (Press Watch Kodi and every device needed for Kodi turns on and sets itself to the needed inputs).

For my home I took it step further. I use a software called iRule with an IP-to-IR "gateway" box by globalcache. Most of my equipment is direct IP control but the globalcache gives me control of the IR only devices. With this setup I put the app on my android (also on iOS) phones and tablet and have full control over not just the living room but ALL the equipment in every room of the house, even wifi thermostat and wifi garage opener. The setup is certianly more involved then say a logitech harmony but you get full control of how everything looks and feels and you can use logical statements like IF/ELSE/AND/OR etc to really fine tune functionality, not to mention you can program the software to use any device that can take HTTP post and get commands.

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I don't think my TV has that feature. I have a Sony Bravia, and bought (recently) a Sony Soundbar, assuming they'd sync fully via HDMI... not the case. Has some communication but not full. I think my TV came out about a year before that was a feature on the Sony TVs.

I've debated Linux... tried briefly and failed remote wise but, may try again. I've heard LibreElec mentioned in the Kodi forums but never seen it in action. I have absolutely no background in Linux/Unix type OS's so after a day of trying to make it work, I gave up and installed Windows... if my HTPC is down, I have no TV to watch. :D

Remote wise, I have my Sony... not spending more money on another remote. It works with my TV, soundbar and my HTPC right now, so, should be no reason why it won't work on a new build.

Mostly looking for ways to turn on the PC with the Sony remote. If I can make it work with the HP receiver, great... not sure if the new mobo I'm looking at has that S4/S5...

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157678&nm_mc=AFC-C8JunctionCA&cm_mmc=AFC-C8JunctionCA-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10592396&PID=3938566&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-%zn

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

Darn... was looking that up online, didn't know some boards had the CIR Header as they called it. Sites wouldn't let me filter results to see which had that feature so emailed ASRock, and they replied back saying they no longer make boards with that feature. :pfff:

ASRock H110TM-ITX has it, and a mini board which I'm after, may hav to find new-old stock somewhere.