HTPC build

LazyJ

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
Hello

I am looking for advice on a new HTPC build

Approximate Purchase Date: next week

Budget Range: less then 750$ cdn

System Usage from Most to Least Important: streaming video/web surfing/maybe LoL

Are you buying a monitor: No

Do you need to buy OS: Yes, but have already budgeted for this

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg and memory express

Parts Preferences:

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($123.99 @ Computer Valley)
Motherboard: Asus P8H77-I Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($97.38 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($64.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7750 1GB Video Card ($124.99 @ Memory Express)
Case: Silverstone SG06BB-450 Mini ITX Desktop Case w/450W Power Supply ($99.88 @ Canada Computers)
Optical Drive: Samsung SN-208BB DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $651.20

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor 55" HD tv

Additional Comments: I am thinking about either the above more powerful/expensive i3-2120 and 7750 build, or a a cheaper bulid based on a A6-3500 llano without discrete graphics. Am a little concerned about fitting everything into a Mini-ITX build have pretty limited experience putting computers together and its is all with larger form factors. Would a a Silverstone Grandia case make more sense?

g-unit1111

Titan
I'm a little hesitant to recommend a Vertex 4 because OCZ has been getting hounded due to its' unreliable driver updates. Go with a Crucial M4 or Samsung 830 instead.

Also if you're building around an mITX build then I'm not sure that GPU and HD will fit. Get a 2.5" drive like the Samsung Spinpoint M8 and then for the GPU I don't know. I've never really done an mITX build before.

Hi, FYI, if you set up the PC to have a pause buffer (required with media center I think -- or at least I could never get rid of it) then make sure the buffer is on the spinning disk. Streaming TBs of video feed over an SSD will wear it out very quickly.

Wolfshadw

Titan
You definitely want to look at the Grandia series HTPC cases. The case you currently list only has one SSD bay and no place (listed) for an 3.5" hard disk drive.
I understand wanting to go with smaller form factors, but in most instances, there's really not enough room inside for good airflow. You really need to be a master of cable management.

-Wolf sends