Question HTPC case

dy26197

Honorable
Jul 20, 2014
Hello.

I would like to turn my older gaming rig into an HTPC. I dont want to upgrade any of the components or anything. I just want to transfer the parts into a case that will fit into an entertainment center without standing out like a sore thumb.

The case must be able to fit a matx mobo, atx psu, full size GPU, 3.5 HDD, and a 5.25 optical drive. I would also like to keep the cost below $70 if possible.

Any suggestions?

dy26197

Honorable
Jul 20, 2014
What dimensions will fit into the entertainment center?
Size isn't as much of a factor as aesthetics. I have room in my entertainment center for pretty much any case. I just want to keep it as small as possible and I would prefer the look of something like a gaming console, or something that looks like it belongs in an entertainment center.

dy26197

Honorable
Jul 20, 2014
What graphics card do you have?
AMD Radeon RX 470

Matx mobo
I5-3470 with stock heatsink
500w atx psu

This computer is no longer my primary gaming PC, but its specs are still decent enough that I want to find another use for it. I think it would make an awesome htpc. It's just a matter of finding a case that will fit everything in it and look good in my entertainment center without breaking the bank.

All the cases that I have found on my own are either way too expensive, won't fit all the pieces in them, or just look like giant stupid looking cubes.

I'm really hoping that one of you guys can help me find something better.

Last edited:

dy26197

Honorable
Jul 20, 2014
Sounds like you're looking for the Silverstone GD06

So you don't like cube cases like the Thermaltake V21?

Could always build your own. My profile pic is my HTPC case. (shameless plug)
Yes something like the GD06, but under $70 preferably.

Your case is cool as hell. I wish I was handy enough to do something like that, but I suck at that sort of stuff. I tried building an arcade cabinet from scratch a few years back. Total disaster! I just dont have the patience.

dy26197

Honorable
Jul 20, 2014
Cooler Master Q300L = $45 Shipped has the option to be placed horizontal.

(More of a "did you see this!"....but I actually kinda like it) Antec Dapper
Thank you very much for the suggestion. The antec dapper is a really cool looking case.

It sucks that none of those cases have a spot for a 5.25 optical drive. I own a couple hundred movies on dvd. I really do not want to invest the time it would take to transfer all of them to a storage device. I also dont want to have a million different hard drives in this computer. So an optical drive is a must. An external USB optical drive is always an option, but I'd prefer to avoid that somewhat goofy setup if at all possible.

dy26197

Honorable
Jul 20, 2014
I feel as if I appear to be annoyingly nitpicky. I dont mean to be nitpicky, but I have a vision in my mind of what i want but i cant seem to find it for less then $100 and seeing as how this is nothing more then a cosmetic upgrade I really dont want to spend that kind of money on it.

It is entirely possible that what I am looking for does not exist within the price range that I am willing to pay.