HTPC Tuner Card Issues

BroHamBone

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
I installed and tuned my Hauppauge 2250. Under the channel list, it shows more than 70 channels. When I go past channel 20, all I have is a blue screen and static. The coax cable I am using is the same I used for the set top box. With the set top box connected to the TV I receive 200 channels. When I had the set top box connected to the 2250, I had a low bit rate notice. I figured if i directly connected the coax cable that runs from the cable box outside, the channels would display fine. Did I install something incorrectly? I have the most recent drivers installed from the Hauppauge website.

Sys Specs:
Win 7 64bit
8GB ram
gtx 280

I am watching TV on the computer just fine, but only up to channel 20. What can I do! I have an amplifier for my room with the cable modem and TV split. Should I try that out on the HTPC? Should I even go through the hassle?

thanks in advance,

-Bro

Solution
Unfortunately, this is the problem you're going to run into when using standard TV Tuner cards and have more than just the basic cable subscription. Many of the channels (above your local channels) are sent encrypted by the cable company. The set top box from them not only allows you to view all 200 channels, but also decrypts those that are encrypted. Your Hauppauge 2250 cannot do this.

If you've connected your TV Tuner card directly to the wall outlet, you will only get channels 2 through 20 (based on your post). If you've connected your TV Tuner card to the output of the set top box, you'll still only get channels 2 through 20 using the TV Tuner card's tuner. However, if you use the set top box to change channels, you should get all...

Wolfshadw

Titan
Unfortunately, this is the problem you're going to run into when using standard TV Tuner cards and have more than just the basic cable subscription. Many of the channels (above your local channels) are sent encrypted by the cable company. The set top box from them not only allows you to view all 200 channels, but also decrypts those that are encrypted. Your Hauppauge 2250 cannot do this.

If you've connected your TV Tuner card directly to the wall outlet, you will only get channels 2 through 20 (based on your post). If you've connected your TV Tuner card to the output of the set top box, you'll still only get channels 2 through 20 using the TV Tuner card's tuner. However, if you use the set top box to change channels, you should get all 200 channels you subscribe to. If your TV Tuner card came with an IR Blaster, remote control, and IR receiver, you should be able to set that up so you can simulate changing channels on the PC, but in truth, you're just using the PC Remote to control the set top box.

In my opinion, your best bet would be to get a cablecard ready TV Tuner solution like one of these:

1) Ceton InfiniTV4 Quad TV Tuner PCI-E - Internal card (requires an available PCI-E slot), Replaces your set top box (with required cablecard from your cable provider).
2) Ceton InfiniTV4 Quad TV Tuner USB - External box, Replaces your set top box (with required cablecard from your cable provider).
3) Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650 - Same as above, but only has two tuners.
4) SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime 3CC - Same as above but three tuners.
5) SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime 6CC - Same as above but six tuners and requires two cable cards.

-Wolf sends

Solution

BroHamBone

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009

Funny thing is I have the coax from the wall to the TV in another room and I receive 70 channels. Why wouldnt this do the same? There has to be some sort of issue that can be resolved. I do have the IRs and remote. I have invested more than $130 on this card to buy another one and say oh well. I have two different set top box's. When I tried them, I would receive the Low bit rate info.

BroHamBone

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009

Hahah, I read that last night. Maybe that was the issue! I was so exhausted with installing this card I skimmed it. I plan on wiping the drivers and doing a fresh install. There has been so many "fix it" paths to take. May as well take them all till i get to where i need to be. In my office, the cable modem and cable tv are split. I needed an amplifier because of that in order to get the 70 or so channels. I wouldnt imagine this card would need the same deal since it is not split, but it is worth a try. I will keep you posted. Thanks for your time Wolf

BroHamBone

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
Hah ok so here is what I have done so far;

I took the coax and plug it directly to the TV to check the quality of the cable/signal. The TV tuner picks up 70+ channels including some digital.

Since there was an coax extender running inline to the HTPC tuner, I figured I would remove that factor. In order for the coax cable to reach the PC, I had to re route the coax from the original point through the wall a couple feet over and cut a hole in the wall. Long story short, I have an extra hole in the wall.

Upon doing this, I had access for the coax cable directly from the outside box to the HTPC tuner. Reinstalled the card in a different PCI slot and fresh drivers. Found 26 channels instead of 20 this time! WooT! ....

I grabbed my amplifier from the other room and installed it on the HTPC tuner coax cable and cable running from outside. Same 26 channels... No dice!

All in all, I am going to return the Hauppauge 2250. I thought this would be a great investment for an alternative to a DVR. I guess I bought a bag of rocks!

I bought a remote separately from the Hauppauge website, so I may take a restocking fee hit, but majority of the money back is better than none at all.

BroHamBone

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009

The Centon is the one I was thinking about nabbing. I will have to look into the AVerMedia card though.

Would you happen to know if the hauppauge remote is universal?

BroHamBone

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
Installed and good to go! It took a few days to get it calibrated.. it was over the weekend. First tech installed the card, but no HD channels. He said give it 24 hours. Well 24 hours later, no HD. Ordered another tech to come in today (monday). He called the right people and got the HD working. All in all, I am glad I spent the money on a quality product.

As far as WMC 7 goes... so many issues. Went through everything people suggested.. Finally I rolled back drivers (was a suggestion) for nvidia card to 275.33 and white flicker disappeared.

Thanks for everything Wolf!

-Bro