HTPC Upgrade for LAN Party

t.w.walshaw

Prominent
Dec 14, 2017
Hi there, I was wondering if I could please get some advice on a upgrade for my HTPC so it can be used in a LAN party I'm hosting. I having a 11 of my old university friends round for a LAN party just like we used to do back in the day. Going to be playing a lot of 6v6 games and free for all. Two of them are having to travel quite far so I'm wanting to get two other PCs besides my own to up to scratch for gaming so they don't have to bring theirs. One is an iMac 5K (don't laugh its got a 6700K, RX m395X 4GB GPU and 16GB DDR3 1866mhz, its a late 2015 model and so doesn't heat throttle back the cpu and gpu) and is already running games on boot camp fine so I sure I shouldn't have do anything to that. The other is my old HTPC I built in 2012. Its now totally redundant as I have a smart 4K TV that has netflix and amazon on it and an 4K apple TV, plus it can't actually display 4k without a driver hack which makes it unstable so it pretty much gathers dust. Its spec:

Motherboard - F2A85XM-HD3 (FM2 Socket)
CPU/APU - A8 6600K (with HD 8570D) Black Edition
GPU: HD 6670 (which crossfires with the HD 8570 in dual graphics mode surprisingly well, but does take 2GB of system memory when enabled)
HDD/SDD: Samsung Evo 840 128Gb SSD (boot drive) and 1 TB Seagate 7200rpm HDD
PSU: Corsair 450 watt unit (CS450 I think, it has 6 and 8 pin (2+6) GPU connectors)
Memory: 8GB Corsair 1600mhz DDR3 (2x4GB)
Case Silverstone Low profile HTPC case (I forget which exact model).

It will be plugged into a 32" Samsung 1080p TV for a monitor for the LAN party. We will likely be playing the following games:

Battlefield 3/4/1 or the new Battlefront (haven't decided which yet)
Renegade X (we spent hours playing the original C&C Renegade at University)
World In Conflict (Again from uni, we display the map on a projector so all player on the same team can see whats happening)
Planetary Annihilation/Subcom 1 or 2 (again still to be decided)
Sins of a solar empire (whatever the latest version currently is)
Serious Sam 3 BFE (Again we played all the previous Serious Sam games at Uni together, although none of us have played the new one)
If time Star Craft 1/2, C&C generals/red alert 2 (if we can get IPX to work) CS Go etc.

I don't want to spend more than £200 (we're in the UK) roughly $250. The best CPU the board can take is a A10 6800K, I personally don't think that'll make much difference to the A8 6600K. I was thinking either second hand GTX 660 (£40) although would be too big for the case, but we can leave the top off, or a low profile RX 460/550 (£80) or low profile GTX 1050/1050Ti (£130-£160). Failing that I may have to reside myself to the fact that the CPU will bottleneck those cards and upgrade the board and cpu as well. If so I'd like to keep the whole thing under £200 which I think with a AM3+ Piledriver CPU and Mobo combination with a RX550 is possible, or even a entry level Ryzen CPU and Mobo and GTX 660 second hand. What do you guys think?

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

going from a a8 to a a10 is a waste of money when you already have a dedicated gpu

a gtx 1050 ti is a great option because it will allow you to use it for 4k content as well as gaming

the a8 will struggle with BF1 and starcraft

t.w.walshaw

Prominent
Dec 14, 2017
So looks like the CPU and therefore motherboard needs an upgrade to then. Will a 660 GTX suffice for the requirements do you think? Like I said a second hand one is less than £40.

TRENDING THREADS