Status
Not open for further replies.

bookwormsy

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Hello, I need a graphics card for my HP Slimline s3200n for use as an HTPC

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Doesn't matter, but the sooner the better.

BUDGET RANGE: As cheap as possible, no more than $40 Before Rebates

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: HTPC: 1080p through XBMC, Hulu+ and Netfilx.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Onboard Nvidia Geforce 6150SE, AcBel 160W (if you know of a compatable PSU upgrade, im open to that. I have an EVGA GT430 I could use then, but all the PSU upgrades I've seen are for a different Slimline and are too thick.)

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: AMD Athlon 64 x2 4800+, 2GB RAM

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I'm comfortable with Newegg, TigerDirect and Microcenter, but am open to other places.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Doesn't matter

PARTS PREFERENCES: None

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Not sure, whatever my TV is? Its a Samsung 720p plasma that will be upgraded in the near future.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: 1080p, XBMC, fanless cooling, low profile ready

Ive been thinking about this:

ASUS EAH5450 SL/DI/512MD3/MG(LP) Radeon HD 5450 512MB 32-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121476

since its 10 bucks after rebate, but I'm not sure if my power supply is too weak.

Thanks for the help.

Solution
The HD 5450 has been tested to consume a maximum of 13w of power, it should be fine. AMD's recommendation is based on the fact that they do not exactly know what is inside your PC. Watching videos will probably mean it uses 8w of power.

The Athlon 64 x2 4800+ is actually your most power consuming component. It uses a max of about 80w of power. For watching movies you don't have to worry about that though. It probably will use around 50w.
The HD 5450 has been tested to consume a maximum of 13w of power, it should be fine. AMD's recommendation is based on the fact that they do not exactly know what is inside your PC. Watching videos will probably mean it uses 8w of power.

The Athlon 64 x2 4800+ is actually your most power consuming component. It uses a max of about 80w of power. For watching movies you don't have to worry about that though. It probably will use around 50w.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.