Question Http/https

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012
Hi

I have a netgear Nighthawk r7000 router running tomato firmware I have in the router set to use https ,because I hear it's a more secure connection using this. But now I can't acsess the tomato settings by typing in 192.168.1.1. See I want to change the server address for The ipvanish vpn that I have running in tomato but now I can't acsess it. Is there anything I can do to acsess it. without having to do a hard reset of the router all over again. I can surf the net just fine. But I can't get into the router settings anymore.

Unable to connect

Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at 192.168.1.1.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Nightly is permitted to access the Web.

Please help.

Thank You!

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012
It worked I get a security box saying

Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead

Firefox detected a potential security threat and did not continue to 192.168.1.1. If you visit this site, attackers could try to steal information like your passwords, emails, or credit card details.

Learn more…

Report errors like this to help Mozilla identify and block malicious sites
and then I get

Websites prove their identity via certificates. Firefox does not trust this site because it uses a certificate that is not valid for 192.168.1.1.

Error code: MOZILLA_PKIX_ERROR_SELF_SIGNED_CERT
View Certificate
When I click accept risk and continue then it let's me in so it worked,but, is there anyway to get rid of the security risk message?

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012
Is telling you the tomato firmware needs updating, because the certificate date is too old (whatever that is). U can simply ignore it, or configure FF to ignore this kind of warning (not recommended).
Okay so the tomato firmware you are saying needs to be updated. to indicate a new date. Is there anyway to do that? In the tomato firmware? Or can I only choose to have firefox ignore thisd kind of warning. Which is not recommened?

You have to look at the actual risks involved. HTTPS on routers is mostly if you would access the router from outside your house, which is not really recommended either.

Inside your house for someone to capture normal HTTP traffic they would have to somehow tap into the ethernet cable. You have a much bigger problem than your router if someone can get inside your house undetected. On wifi you have the encryption on the wifi protecting your traffic. Again you have a much larger issue if you suspect someone has compromised your wifi network.

In general you will not really be accessing the router itself much after you have it setup. You should always access it via ethernet not so much for security but because if you try to reconfigure wifi setting while you are using the wifi you can kick yourself off the router.

I would just use normal http to access the router inside your house and not worry about things that are only theoretical.